Defender 200tdi headlight problem

L19MUD

I have been chasing round for hours now...

Neither headlight works. No idea if they did before as the truck is new to me.

I have tested the switch, all OK.

There is no power at fuse 7 or 8 when the headlight switch is on

There is power at the blue and red thick cable on the back of the dim/dip indicator switch

If I put power to either the left or the right headlight (blue and pink or blue and black) through the fuseboard I can either headlight to come on

The book of lies suggests that from the blue and red wire out of the back of the dim dip switch passes through two junctions before it gets to the fuseboard. I can see the blue and red wire coming into the fuseboard for one headlight and then a wire looping it to the other headlight across the back of the fuseboard. I therefore suspect the problem is before the blue and red wire gets to the fuse board but after it comes out of the ignition switch.

If there is a junction as per the Haynes manual where is it?! and what part of the dashboard should I dismantle to get to it?

MOT on Saturday morning :-) Any help greatly appreciated

Thanks

Sam

I have no idea to be honest but when i up graded my lights wiring on the 300Tdi i remember there being a relay but this was between the fuse box and the lights, may be worth checking if yours is simular, might need a new one or fiddling with just a thought?

Edited by Mutley

Thanks

Will check the wiring diagram again - I was getting fairly annoyed so may have miss read it.

There are a few relays in the fuseboard area and I did wonder what they all did! Certainly none seem to click when the headlight switch is turned on

its a 1993 200tdi

there is no black box I can see. I have bypassed the switch and that didn't help.

there is a pink coloured relay behind the instrument pack with blue and red wires going to it. Wonder if that is it?

will swap it with my other 200tdi tomorrow assuming it is the same

there is a pink coloured relay behind the instrument pack with blue and red wires going to it. Wonder if that is it?

that's the later dim dip relay, pull the relay out of it's socket & make a jumper wire to join the 2 blue/red wires that go into the socket, that should sort the no headlight problem, if it doesn't you have faults in the wiring or the headlight bulbs.