Crew cab steel rims

Hello all

I currently have a set of very tired looking boost alloys (i think)  on my 2004 TD5 crew cab. The tubeless tyres are quite recent (235/85/R16 BF goodrich A/T) so Iam looking to replace the alloys with a nice set of steel rims. Can anyone offer advice on what size rims in will need to get and any good suppliers (if thats allowed here).

Cheers

Alex

"nice" is subjective; I bought Modulars from this guy on ebay, with new Enduro tyres fitted. I am not certain these are the exact same wheels I bought, but it is the same seller:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/x4-16x7-BLACK-MODULAR-STEEL-WHEELS-LAND-ROVER-FITMENT-5x165-1-DEFENDER-DISCO1-/291726493022?hash=item43ec41055e

The offset I chose means that the tyre although wider, is no closer to the hubs, so steering is not affected, but the tyre protrudes from the defender arches. I've been driving like that for a year, although I did buy some wider arches to put on. 

I use wolf wheels with tubeless BFGs. However, the spare is a tubed version (didn't know when I bought it!) And therefore has a tube fitted.  They were a combination of colours when I bought them. Acid, primer and enamel black, and I'm really happy with the finish and looks.  It took me six months to collect them off fleabay but they only totalled £90.

12 hours ago, landroversforever said:

Alloy type nuts will fit and work OK but they just look horrendous!

I thought they had a very different shape on the bottom, and retain/clamp the wheel a different way?

Wolf rims are heavier than std but not by much, and it's all added strength. Probably plenty heavier than cheapo modulars :ph34r:

Worth noting there's non-gen wolf rims out there but they're only pennies cheaper than genuine parts.

27 minutes ago, FridgeFreezer said:

I thought they had a very different shape on the bottom, and retain/clamp the wheel a different way?

Wolf rims are heavier than std but not by much, and it's all added strength. Probably plenty heavier than cheapo modulars :ph34r:

Worth noting there's non-gen wolf rims out there but they're only pennies cheaper than genuine parts.

3 minutes ago, Bowie69 said:

Yep different shape, less of an angle to them.

Also the alloy wheel nuts clamp on a big flat washer on a thick part of the wheel.

They will hold the wheel, but wouldn't run them on the road.

They clamp the alloy on the fat washer near the top of the nut as the alloys are much thicker. But they will bolt a steel on. Think of the number of discos that came with alloys and a steel spare. The very end of the alloy type nut has the same angle on it as a steel type nut.

6 hours ago, landroversforever said:

Mine with a 2" band are 17.6kg from memory. So actually not that heavy considering. 

Without wishing to hijack the thread I have been looking at doing this, as I like the HD wheels but they are not wide enough for my 265/75 BFG's currently fitted. There seems to be a lot of contradictory advice on the legality of banding and I want to be clear before I commit. Do you have any information about this?

Also where did you get yours done, as with anything there seems to be varying qualities of workmanship out there it defeats the point of the HD wheels strength if the banding is then not up to the job.