Small garage building advice, what size steel

skauldy

Guys,

just looking for some advice from someone in the know. I'm building a log shed/ trailer parking spot. The size is going to be 5mtrs wide X 6 metres long. I would like 3 Mtrs to the eves and 3.5 mtrs to the apex. I know that might be a pretty shallow pitch but I'm limited as I'm trying to squeeze it into a spot. Advice I'm looking for is

A. Is that to shallow of a pitch. I will be using corrugated cladding on the roof 

B. I was thinking of using RSJ uprights and 2 RSJ's for the rafters. What size of RSJ would I need. 

Any advice would be appreciated, thanks guys 

Shane 

I'd have a look at websites for portal frame building kits of the size you are thinking of to give an idea of column/beam size's , joint styles and appropriate wind ties . The fall looks to be ok at 11 degrees if my quick check is correct .

I've seen similar buildings made from 6" x 4" I beams/columns , but please don't take it as good , your location would suggest wind loading could be significant , it may just be worth paying a structural engineer/architect for the correct local spec.

cheers

Steve b

Almost identical span & heigh as my tin shed, which came from Premier Steel Buildings as a kit - and for the price it wasn't worth trying to chop steel yourself

The beams are about 20cm section U-channel (more like C channel really), not very thick steel (maybe 3mm) but large section. I'll try to remember to  get a photo or 2 as I've got to drop in there soon.

Thanks for the advice guys,. 

Im not going to put any sides on it Steve so wind profile should be ok. 6x4 sounds good and that's a great idea about googling to see gussets and stuff

if you get a chance to get a photo that would be great Mike. 

I built mine with a very shallow pitch roof so that I could have as much head room as possible and not require planning. The only real issue is snow load which depends on the pitch and span. There should be some standards to work to if you search around. I clear mine when it snows just to be sure. If there are no sides make sure the roof is attached well enough not to blow up when the wind gets under it!

I was thinking of having a raised ridge cover and the cladding won't meet if you get me, theory is it will let the wind out the top. It just rains here, all the time and I mean all the blinking time. I would rather snow. 

That pitch is fine for corrugated or profiled steel sheets. If they are any good, the supplier will also supply barge boards to fit and ridge flashing in identical finished steel to match the pitch.

Steel sheets are always approx. 1100mm wide and overlap to give 1 metre(1000mm)  cover so you will need a rafter at this spacing. In galvanised steel they are called Z purlins and again, are available from the roofing supplier, although for a 5 metre wide pitched roof you can easily use standard tanalised wood rafters. The steel sheet weight is lower than you would expect.  They will also cut the sheets exactly  to your required length. You will need to work out the developed length of the sheets to give an  overhang each side, and at sub 3000mm these are easy to handle. Fix with tek-screws using a cordless drill/screwdriver, and fit plastic colour coded covers. You also will need foam fillers which fit under the top and bottom of the sheets and exactly match the profile, so there are no leaks or drafts.

I don't want to advertise on the forum but we have a family business supplying this stuff but we would not normally ship to Ireland.  I am sure that there are suppliers nearer to you.

If you need any help or advice spec`ing the materials from your supplier just PM me and I will work out the pitch for the ridge flashing, steel roof weight  etc..

Putting a roof like this up is a lot easier than people think.

Barry