Terrafirma suspension setup

Cil111

Hi,   

Wondering if anyone had had the same experience.. 

Want to fit terrafirma plus 2 springs to my defender.... But the whole heavy,  light medium thing is a bit confusing... 

My defender is a 300tdi hard top with full roll cage,  winch and bumper up front,  the usual array of guards for protection and nothing much more.  

Did anyone fit these springs and has a comfy ride?   I like the ride a bit on the firmer side but still comfy.. As in not a bone jarring ride,   but neither having the suspension too soft with thr car going all over the place.. 

Anyone has an idea what setup i can fit?   I am assuming that i need a mix between the front and rear such as heavy front and medium rear.... 

Thanks

If you have a non standard Land Rover, then it might be a bit of trial and error tbh.

A friend has the Terrafirma setup, for normal use I think he uses the medium, but with the roof tent mounted it rolls way too much on road. So he switches to some HD terrafirma springs. I'm not sure of the spring rates exactly off the top of my head. So don't take the wording/naming as red.

With the heavy rate springs on, road performance is much improved when loaded for touring. But when empty and without the roof tent on it sits way to high at the rear. And off road the heavy springs don't compress as well unloaded.

I think the best solution is to get to your local scrapyard and get the vehicle on a weighbridge to get the weight on front and rear axles then look at aftermarket springs, most of which are sold by poundage or additional kg weight.

My 90 has TF medium duty +2s but is a soft top with no winch and no spare wheel so pretty light, it goes around roundabouts well and tows nicely but they are too hard on the road. Once the winch is nailed on and a cage fitted I'll then weigh it and possibly buy different springs.

1 hour ago, Boris113 said:

I think the best solution is to get to your local scrapyard and get the vehicle on a weighbridge to get the weight on front and rear axles then look at aftermarket springs, most of which are sold by poundage or additional kg weight.

My 90 has TF medium duty +2s but is a soft top with no winch and no spare wheel so pretty light, it goes around roundabouts well and tows nicely but they are too hard on the road. Once the winch is nailed on and a cage fitted I'll then weigh it and possibly buy different springs.

From their info i think that you will be better of with light duty on yours... 

I have heavy duty up front for now... And looks ok... Slightly firm but will pass... Rears i have to decide.. 

Now the heavy front are light rears so csn try those at the back.. But i think will be too soft..  

Most prob will end up with medium at the back and leave the heavy duty up front 

Last year I fitted the TF204 spring kit with + 2" TF shocks as I wanted to cover everything I wanted to do with my 90, carrying loads, towing, off roading and normal road use but I found the springs was just to stiff, I didn't have much articulation when off road, hard ride on the road and I could carry a house and the springs wouldn't squash down so I removed the springs and fitted the BP yellow springs as they was rated the same as the TF201 spring kit and a lot cheaper aswell and I have never looked back, I later switched to TF + 5" shocks and lower rear shock mounts for more articulation but its great now :)