New noise from the cab

Hello all, the defender seems to have developed a new noise. 

The best way to describe the sound is like a steering lock has been lent against the centre console and is vibrating. It isn't this btw.

This noise only occurs when i have driven a little way, so not on immediate start. I have noticed that if i say go to the local tip which is 8 miles, down the local A road so 50 ish all the way, the noise will occur when i come off the A road and stop at the roundabout. Once i have been to the tip and start up again, its not happening. So only after a good session on the road.

The noise will go if i ever so slightly rev the engine. And this is at a stand still.

Any ideas what i am looking at?

Melv

Relationship to engine rpm just gives an idea of the loose article's resonant frequency lining up with the engine vibration.  It'd probably happen with the engine cold if you just increase the rpm a tiny bit.  Frankly, it could be anything.  You need to replicate it while parked to hunt it down.

• 2 weeks later...
On 08/10/2016 at 11:23 AM, Snagger said:

Relationship to engine rpm just gives an idea of the loose article's resonant frequency lining up with the engine vibration.  It'd probably happen with the engine cold if you just increase the rpm a tiny bit.  Frankly, it could be anything.  You need to replicate it while parked to hunt it down.

this is the issue, this noise ONLY happens when i have given the landy a significant drive, so 50-60 mph for 15 mins. It doesnt happen on small slow runs. 

Its so hard to work out where its coming from

5 hours ago, Suffolk Defender said:

this is the issue, this noise ONLY happens when i have given the landy a significant drive, so 50-60 mph for 15 mins. It doesnt happen on small slow runs. 

Its so hard to work out where its coming from

If it only happens at idle after braking, and only once hot, then as I said, it is something with a very specific frequency.  Cold idle is a little slower, which is why I said that slightl throttle application may replicate it.

Otherwise, you need to look at something that is expanding with heat and allowing movement, which is most likely to be to be the exhaust or heater matrix.