Turbo heat shield

I have a proper under bonnet sound proofing mat. It sits close to the turbo. The turbo heat shield is not massively intact and the result is this

3CD40606-3DC7-43BC-9178-818F8C45C0A8_zps

As my soundproofing is made for this job, I would imagine it's not flammable, but this still isn't ideal. 

Would one of these turbo blankets do the job?

http://www.cgbmotorsport.net/turbo-unit-heat-shield--blanket-t25--t28-1246-p.asp

Any thoughts on whether the cheaper ones are safe? Demontweeks do them for silly money, but are the cheaper Chinese copies reliably made out of fire/heat proof material? 

http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/performance/heat-shielding-protection/design-engineering-titanium-turbo-shield-2

I have never had a heat shield tot he Tdi in my 109, but the engine sits much lower in a Series and so the gap under the bonnet is bigger.  I am 99% certain that the sound lining is flammable, though one would hope it was initially sprayed or dunked in fire retardant.  That retardant is likely to have washed off or decomposed by now, and the blanket will have soaked up oil and fuel vapours. 

The fabric heat shield looks like it should work well, though I'd still prefer one that can't absorb flammable liquids or residue, is washable and is not in direct contact with the turbine casing.  On the flip side, insulating the turbine should improve its performance considerably.

Thanks all, for your thoughts. I have ordered one of the cheaper ones. I'll take some pics when its fitted for interest.

Two questions:

1. What would you do to repair the mess its made of my underbonnet mat?

2. Does the old asbestos shield (or whatever it is) protect much or shall I remove it completely? Its partly the bracket that is damaging the soundproofing above it.

I'd remove the old shield and bracket only once the new blanket is fitted.  As for the noise blanket, trim away the peeling bits of scorched surface lining and then stipple with a mix of PVA glue and black emulsion - duct tape will fall off.

What do you think about fixing something like this to it to cover the frayed bits:

http://www.screwfix.com/p/rothenberger-plumber-s-soldering-mat/54910?kpid=54910&cm_mmc=Google-_-Product Listing Ads-_-Sales Tracking-_-sales tracking url&gclid=CjwKEAjw-Oy_BRDg4Iqok57a4kcSJADsuDK1-nJfqxN29MdPS0tpp91SPvDX-wk9u-mG3PZ1f30WiRoCXXjw_wcB

The max temperature of that mat might be a little too low? But perhaps not with the turbo blanket installed? It could be stapled in place or sewn in using a wire thread of some sort?

The temperature capacity of that mat will be hundreds of degrees hotter than the sound proofing, so it'd be safe, even if it fell onto a naked turbo.  PVA would hold it in place amply and be flexible enough with good penetration of both porous surfaces.  You could use PU adhesive.  Contact adhesive has the appeal of being instant set, but would come apart when it gets hot.

I think the soundproofing is for a 300tdi  Les. It has a cut out where the airfilter box would sit on that (and the td5 as well i guess)

Once the old sheild and bracket is removed and the turbo blanket fitted, I hope it will be fine.

Snagger, I'll get one of those mats and have a go wt sticking it with PVA as you suggest. It'll tidy it up nicely. 

there are various under bonnet sound proofing/insulation as shown in http://www.albrit.de/UNI.cfm?PAGE=768879&SPRACHE=EN

Mine was  BTR3415 [this one with the later part number] http://www.brit-car.co.uk/product.php/82433/5497/bonnet_insulation_pad_def__la now removed as it was falling apart, it had been on the vehicle for over 10 years. 

I have Noise Killer matting under my bonnet.  I intensely dislike it - the foil tears easily and looks untidy, but more critically, the glue on one large piece never stuck to the freshly cleaned bonnet underside, and it kept falling off.  My concern was it falling into the steering mechanism directly below.  I prefer a mechanically fixed blanket like those above, and the pattern panels may suit my needs well at £60odd instead of £240+.