centre diff lock lever 3 positions?

Hi all just need a little bit of advice on the centre  diff lock on my 1993 defender 200tdi.
Have just changed the lt230 transfer box for a later 1996 one from a defender and had a bit of hassle getting the diff lock linkages working correctly.
On the transfer box looking  from aft to fwd the little cam that is actuated via the little metal rod

(which then links to the larger upstanding lever which then goes to the diff lock/high low lever -have changed all the little plastic bushings in the rods  and have got it all working BUT... )

i have noticed that on that  diff lock changer it can go from a 2oclock position (LOCKED DIFF) thru anti clockwise movement  to 12 0clock position(UNLOCKED DIFF../.NEUTRAL???) AND also can then be taken further anti clockwise again to a 10 oclock position(UNLOCKED DIFF ./.NEUTRAL???)
At first i thought the 12 0clock position could have been a neutral position  but like the further 10 oclock position i still get drive in both the 12 and 10 oclock positions((UNLOCKED DIFF./.NEUTRAL???)
Can anyone confirm there is no neutral position in the diff lock and if it should stop at the 12 oclock position from further anti clockwise movement(there is like a detent position for it which i can feel )and if its bad for it to go further to the 10 oclock position.

hope the above ramble can be understood and appreciate  any advice

Andrew

Difflock is in or out..... no neutral...

Look at the knob. It's a figure of 8....

Right hand side is lo-nuetral-hi.... 

Left is the same but with difflock engaged.....

You Don t have to go back to neutral to go from diff in to out .... simply slide sideways 

the knob says "diff lock" on it which confuses many people.

gear lever to the REAR of the car and on the RIGHT is HIGH RANGE and NO DIFFLOCK

gear lever to the FRONT of the car and on the RIGHT is LOW RANGE and NO DIFFLOCK

gear lever to the REAR of the car and on the LEFT is HIGH RANGE and WITH DIFFLOCK

gear lever to the FRONT of the car and on the LEFT is LOW RANGE and WITH DIFFLOCK

both LEFT and RIGHT have a "NEUTRAL" position midway between front and rear which is not really neutral but not in gear either. This is one of the biggest weaknesses on the LT230, many people don't use their clutch and gear to "feel" the high or low range in resulting it slipping out when they apply power, this quickly damages gears.

DIFF LOCK is only locking the CENTRAL differential, ONLY for surfaces soft enough that your wheels can slip a little, be it gravel or grass or sand or whatever BUT NOT EVER ON TAR

Hi guys thanks for the replies and yes definitely the centre dif lock i am asking about .

Yes i was always under the impression of there being no neutral but when i took off the  3 bolts that hold the little finger cam which actuates the sekector for the diff then it definitely  has a 3rd distinctive position (the 10 oclock one )which puts the selector all the way rearwards ????

• 4 years later...

Hi justustwo,

Did you ever find any answers as to the three positions. I have just got my td5 defenders back from getting a new clutch and now has a knocking noise coming from the front when in the middle position. Could the third position take it out of four weel drive?

All 90/110/Defenders are Permanent 4 wheel drive, so that cannot be deselected like in Series 1,2,3 vehicles. 

the Diff lock selector only has 2 positions, Engaged [short lever over to the far left]  or Not engaged  [ short lever over to far right]

if you disconect all the linkage from the gearbox , the diif lock lever has 3 positions (just like the original question ) , i noticed this a long time ago , sorting out the diff lock linkage for a friends 110 (and i also have no idea what the 3rd position is ...)

On 5/29/2021 at 9:09 PM, western said:

All 90/110/Defenders are Permanent 4 wheel drive, so that cannot be deselected like in Series 1,2,3 vehicles. 

the Diff lock selector only has 2 positions, Engaged [short lever over to the far left]  or Not engaged  [ short lever over to far right]

Dont suppose he has 1 of those lt230 that has been adapted for 2wd

3 hours ago, western said:

Not on a 93 Defender, the 2wd option was dropped years before. 

I was more thinking of one of the gearbox rebuilders  doing a selectable lt230. 
ive certainly never come across a 3 position diff lock mech 

• Like 2