On Board Air

dag019

I am looking at going to morocco next year with a couple of other vehicles. As such I want to be able to air down my tyres for off road driving and then re-inflate them easily and quickly for getting back onto tarmac. 
I have a discovery 200tdi fitted so am looking at a set up using aircon pump from a discovery similar to this thread. In this thread the picture looks like the airline comes direct from the pump rather than having an airtank. This would make the install much simpler and cheaper. Has anyone else done this without using an air tank, is it possible?

I understand the basic set up of: inline oiler, compressor, inline filter, but in this set up there does not seem to be a pressure relief valve or similar which I though was a fairly essential safety feature. 

There are some very good write ups of how to install onboard air using the aircon pump in the tech archive so I am confident that it will work, but all of these use an airtank which I would like to avoid if possible. 

Any information anyone has on this would be great or any pictures of their own set up would also be appreciated.

I doubt you'll be changing air pressure so frequently that the cost and effort would be justified.  A good electric tyre pump would be quite sufficient and arguably more flexible and more useful amongst the group and at home.

In response to your questions I have fitted an AC compressor, without an air tank. It didn't cause any problems. I didn't fit a PRV and even on the couple of occasions where I turned it on inadvertently there were no problems. It is an open system and the air simply vented to atmosphere via the drier/oil filter unit.

I had a small K&N filter on the intake, an inline oiler, the compressor, drier/filter and connection point for an airline

19 hours ago, western said:

Have a look in our Tech Archive index, IIRC there's at least 2 threads in there about 'on board' air systems

I have looked at these and am planning on following them however they use and airtank which i want to avoid if possible.

4 hours ago, Snagger said:

I doubt you'll be changing air pressure so frequently that the cost and effort would be justified.  A good electric tyre pump would be quite sufficient and arguably more flexible and more useful amongst the group and at home.

I can get a disco aircon pump from a breakers for £30 and the oilers and filters are very cheap online. I can probably get the whole set up for less than £50. The electric ones are very expensive to get a proper one, and at home I have a compressor in the garage. Looking at tests and reviews for the electric ones the good ones still take about 5min per wheel, which at 20min a vehicle is a long time to be waiting to drive the next section. 

3 hours ago, neil110 said:

In response to your questions I have fitted an AC compressor, without an air tank. It didn't cause any problems. I didn't fit a PRV and even on the couple of occasions where I turned it on inadvertently there were no problems. It is an open system and the air simply vented to atmosphere via the drier/oil filter unit.

I had a small K&N filter on the intake, an inline oiler, the compressor, drier/filter and connection point for an airline

That sounds exactly the set up that I am looking at. Very basic and easy to install.  Do you have any photos of your system? What do you mean by it is vented to atmosphere via the drier filter?

Sadly no pictures and the system is no longer fitted. 

On the occasions I ran it by accident, the outlet side of the drier/filter was open to atmosphere ( it had a push on hose connector) so the compressor simply blew the air through it and out the open end.

The air intake was behind one of the headlights, with a K&n filter fitted to it, rubber hose to the oiler unit, nother rubber hose to the inlet side of the compressor, rubber hose from the outlet to the filter drier and then the connection for the air line

Having even  a small tank makes all the difference , I used a co2 fire extinguisher bottle 5kg  , fixed to side of chassis it will air up even a 285 very quickly , I even used to do the tyres for the other vehicles as it was quicker for them to wait than mess about with lecky pumps .

On 10/18/2016 at 7:22 PM, muddy said:

That is the biggest hassle with air, once people know you have it you're forever pumping their tyres up!

I have kind of accepted that but as said it will be quicker to do them all that way than wait for little electric ones which can take an age.