Just had a dream about a Defender on air

duncmc

I am off work today with a tummy bug. Just woken up from a snooze where I dreamt about going out to my stone built garage in the house I don't own to take out my Defender and my Range Rover Classic that were parked in there.

All because someone from the forum was coming round to collect a thing that I had sold on the forum for sale pages. Anyway, I got in the Defender (It was a 110 I think) and started it up. As the engine roared into life, the bonnet lifted up and it levelled out.....it was a Defender on air suspension!!

I didn't get to start the RRC. As I drove the Defender out, the other forum member arrived.

Now, a Defender on air suspension...that would be nice.

There are several air suspension Defenders about. Pretty certain my memory is making this up and Si from X-Eng had his on air, must have been 15years ago ish.

I'd love my 110 to be on air, I love the air on my P38 even if it does drive me nuts sometimes with its quirks.

Will

The EAS system from the P38, as maligned as it is, is fairly standalone and would be fairly easy to swap over. If the maintenance is kept on top of, it works well. You can pick a ropey one up cheap, rob it of all the good bits and fit new consumables.

I've seen it done using "Classic" Range Rover parts before, one of the guys in our club built his out of RRC parts that he collected over time. His was pretty simple, using a "manual" control with 4 switches - one for each corner. The switches allowed him to raise/lower any corner individually and I believe he used a simple link across each axle so that, when activated, the axle would articulate in an "active" way with the side being pushed up forcing air into the other side, forcing the wheel to the ground. That also gave him an "auto levelling" feature across the axle.

I've often wondered about using the airbag pressure to automate a control system or possible even a gyroscope (quadcopter style) to auto level the vehicle when off road ! It would still need some form of height measurement for each corner though as a control, which I've always thought must be the most vulnerable part of the system off road.

Maybe one day when I run out of other projects to do ! :) 

It's a nice idea in theory to have an automatic off road levelling suspension that would enable the tackling of steeper side slopes, but imagine if it had a malfunction and reversed its levelling commands, or even just burst the extended downslope airbags - that could cause a far more violent roll over than would normally be the case with standard EAS.  I suspect that's why it isn't already done.

Cheers lads, have to admit bit fond of that build given that it is mine.

Id like to also point out the choices for the VE pump. its actually alot more drivable than a p-pump especially upto 300hp. Less agricultural quieter and saves around 40hp required to drive the P7100 in sacrificial losses. Perfect for the 130 imho. if you want 400hp plus p-pumps the way to go but at that hp ull be seeing over 1000lb-ft of torque so you can kiss goodby to any landy stuff. :o Has no problem lighting the hx35w upto 2 bar. i actually like the VE good reliable pump providing you dont feed it crappy derv or let the lift pump die as its diesel lubricated.

Sorry for hijacking the thread :S 

I just have an aversion to those pumps after having to change so many. Never seemed to have any drivability issues and think from memory they were fitted from 210 HP upwards, but do agree the torque is starting to become savage at this point. I always thought they were less clattery and smoother to.

Toby