Td5 oil in water

Hi I wonder if anyone can help me, I have a 2001 Td5 DefenderI have recently had the head skimmed and new gasket etc. The water system was pressurised and kept chucking it out. This is now cured just before I did the head I was getting oil in the water but I put this down to the head as well. Anyway since then I have replaced the oil cooler but am still getting oil in the water does anyone have any ideas.

Cheers Mark

Edited by Billsowner
Forgot to put age of vehicle

I've never had this myself thankfully.... I would firstly check your oil level and see if you are losing oil.

If no apparent oil loss I wold suspect that there is residual oil in your water system that is getting washed around when the system is hot.

I'm hoping others will pipe in with suggestions of how to flush your system safely and remove the oil that way.

I'm sure I read of someone else with similar issues recently but can't recall the thread right now..

Searching may yield some results.

Neil

It seems likely that it'll take a lot of flushes to remove the old oil from the cooling system - there are lots of nooks and crannies that the hot oil will rise into that aren't subject to full coolant flow, sheltering these oil pockets.  It'll come out with enough flushes if you use an additive which will also act as a detergent.  I'm not sure what you could use, though.

6 hours ago, Snagger said:

It seems likely that it'll take a lot of flushes to remove the old oil from the cooling system - there are lots of nooks and crannies that the hot oil will rise into that aren't subject to full coolant flow, sheltering these oil pockets.  It'll come out with enough flushes if you use an additive which will also act as a detergent.  I'm not sure what you could use, though.

Washing machine powder, used to be used for the 1.8K series engines in Freelanders. Used it in my wifes own car more than 10 years ago. I'd replace the cooling hoses too,oil wrecks them. 

Hi Thanks for the replies, my oil level was dropping but I have put a different set of seals on the oil cooler and it seems to have done the trick but like you say there is a fair bit of residual oil coming out. I have been advised to put a crushed up dishwasher tablet in with the water as a detergent and keep changing the water daily until it runs clean but any other suggestions welcome