IVA - vehicles over 10 years exempt

Rightfoot

Indeed.

One thing on external or internal projections, my understanding is that if the vehicle is based on a production vehicle, and the projections are standard, then they don't get tested. This is under the 'radically altered' category.

If anything projects that is not original spec then it will likely be tested.

Other option is of course to go with the commercial IVA, which doesn't test projections!

gov.uk has lots of info on IVA, better than hearsay from a pub or a mate or a forum.

I've read through it a few times and it is great if you are making a fairly standard saloon or locost/seven style car. It does however get particularly confusing when it appears to be more restrictive than both C&U and EC regulations around issues such as lighting. I tend to focus on specific sections that I'm currently working on rather than the whole lot in one shot. At least one read through cover to cover is a good move though just to ensure you have a decent feel for what is passable.

54 minutes ago, Bowie69 said:

Indeed.

One thing on external or internal projections, my understanding is that if the vehicle is based on a production vehicle, and the projections are standard, then they don't get tested. This is under the 'radically altered' category.

If anything projects that is not original spec then it will likely be tested.

Other option is of course to go with the commercial IVA, which doesn't test projections!

gov.uk has lots of info on IVA, better than hearsay from a pub or a mate or a forum.

This is my understanding too. Projections etc are tested for kit cars, home made vehicles, specials etc. Radically Altered Vehicles aren't covered except for 'the actual modifications' to a standard vehicle. Besides, I don't think IVA testers are idiots. They can tell what you're trying to achieve and generally are good sources of information, so I've been told.

Just an observation. There seems to be a lot of discussion on trying to circumvent the legality of vehicles using IVA. I don't have a problem with emissions, for example. If my engine is running correctly, I'm getting proper horsepower and mpg. I don't have an issue with IVA (beyond the grey areas - not really Land Rover friendly - cost etc) as I'm having a professional telling me, and my insurance company, that my vehicle is safe. Sometimes, it costs a bit more to do the job properly. Ce la vie. What I do find faintly ridiculous is having a V5 for a vehicle, the losing that registration for a Q-plate. If you bought a new chassis, reconditioned engine, bodywork from a scrapyard and axles off your mate, then a Q-plate is fine. But why, oh why, lose a registration you already have?

I've read extensively here and on other forums (not a member elsewhere!) and it seems some people keep their registrations, whilst others don't, which seems to show that either IVA testers don't understand the regulations, or they do, and use a bit of common sense. Which type you get is down to luck.

• Like 1

The only source of information that I've found is the enquiries@dvsa.gsi.gov.uk email address. With these I've found that unless you ask a question that could be answered by reading the text in the IVA test guides then you'll get a response a month or two later (even if replying to a previous email) that starts with something along the line of 'Sorry for the delay, due to the technical nature of your enquiry it was passed to me...'. I did ask to visit a test station to get a feel for the test but was declined that or a meeting. If you have got direct communication with a tester you are fortunate, and they are going above and beyond. Talking of which there is a help to pass document going around which is a better first read than the test guide to get a feel for things.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/individual-vehicle-approval-iva-for-cars-help-to-get-a-pass

The locost forums are a massive help for getting your head around the IVAs and getting an idea of common stumbling points. In essence you need almost OCD levels of attention to detail to get through on first pass, or be super routine and run it through a mock test where you or a mate (a favour in such a magnitude that could only be repaid in copious amounts of real ale!) test it against the guide.

I'm on the same side regarding the IVA. I've only been balancing on the fence because my project wouldn't have needed one originally (re-body of a discovery) but since the work now includes engine and I'm thinking of moving engine back a bit, going under seat fuel tanks and cutting overhang then all of a sudden it is well and truly IVA territory. In the past I've worked in the design and development of machines that were potentially harmful (laser processing very low oxide aluminium and titanium powders can get 'interesting') and it was always reassuring to have a framework to work to which could get signed off to say you've paid due diligence. The grey areas were always appreciated by finance and project leaders as a route through was generally cheaper, but on who's head are those choices on when it goes tits up with your own car? It does have the opposite effect of stopping you going overboard too.

This also provides a marker down for what is deemed an acceptable build standard and taking the design significantly past this is unnecessary spend unless it is for the vehicles dual purpose of the 4x4 use. The IVA is after all only intended to test for suitability for the on road section of it's life, not the private land (green lanes are technically on road I believe) off road adventures and play.

Edit: Here are the locost forums - https://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/

Edited by WesBrooks
  • Like 1

• 3 years later...

this is brilliant by the way: i have a three wheeler started off in the states as an electric car and has a solid shell, i have changed the engine from electric to petrol using the same mounts the car has not been changed at all.  (just the type of engine.) the car is road registered, 21 years old and I will present the car for MOT within the next few weeks. i guess the testing station will inform DVLA of the engine change. since i have not changed the shell in any way do i need to SVA lets wait and see. i want to thank you guys as this has shed new light on my build.

It’s still ludicrously confusing.  The civil service must have special training to write legal documents for the public so poorly.

The chassis and monocoque stuff seems straightforward - don’t do anything that affects its basic specifications, but adding or removing brackets and adding reinforcement are all ok.  It’s this ten year IVA exemption that seems nonsensical to me - are they saying that a Trigger’s broom vehicle that has been rebuilt over a decade ago with numerous mechanical changes but retains the original VIN can subsequently have more changes without loosing the VIN, the ten year period restarting what is considered the original vehicle?  That would be very helpful to many of us, but I don’t think it means that.  It seems that vehicles that needed an IVA still need them, and those which didn’t, still don’t, and I can’t see where the ten years comes into any of the applications of the rules.  

• Like 1

Isn't the missing part of the puzzle that IVA doesn't just apply to modified vehicles? Import, for example. Isn't this actually aimed at imported vehicles over ten years old that don't come with an accessible homologation cert? Don't forget the brexit card here: there's probably something about importing vehicles on EU homologation certificates. Probably to grease the wheels as we leave that with nothing else in place just like everything else.

• Like 1