LR Series ordering problems

Hybrid_From_Hell

Tal, I can agree with what they said above, (and that was very gentlemanly put, Shackleton). I just do not understand people who really seem to believe that they can behave how they like and not suffer any consequences, especially these days when research is so easy. If you don't like it, don't muck about with people in the first place, full stop, end of story, nothing more to see here. 

fair comment shackleton and Davo ..I think the extra stuff about the shooting was what set me off ...somewhat unnecessary I think.....but I absolutely agree that people selling duff parts or with appalling customer service need outing so that they either fix it or people stop using them.

He ripped me off about 6 years ago for a cancelled order.

I emailed and cancelled it before it had been dispatched, which he did without too much of a problem, but then said he'd be charging me a £10 cancellation charge.

I politely pointed out that was illegal under the Distance Selling Regs, and so he turned around and said the £10 was a "goodwill gesture" and then charged my card with a "cancellation fee" of 15% instead, which was about £30.

7 hours ago, Tal said:

fair comment shackleton and Davo ..I think the extra stuff about the shooting was what set me off ...somewhat unnecessary I think.....but I absolutely agree that people selling duff parts or with appalling customer service need outing so that they either fix it or people stop using them.

Too bad . . . don't like the result, don't do the thing. 

7 hours ago, Aragorn said:

He ripped me off about 6 years ago for a cancelled order.

I emailed and cancelled it before it had been dispatched, which he did without too much of a problem, but then said he'd be charging me a £10 cancellation charge.

I politely pointed out that was illegal under the Distance Selling Regs, and so he turned around and said the £10 was a "goodwill gesture" and then charged my card with a "cancellation fee" of 15% instead, which was about £30.

Did you report the theft to the police or Trading Standards. or to you bank/credit card provider?  I'm sure all of them would be interested.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Aragorn said:

I got the bank involved, i cant really remember what happened after, i remember they sent me out a new card and i remember being annoyed at their ineptness.

I had similarish with a recent issue with ebay (not LRSeries mind). Ebay werent interested as it was beyond 30 days. Paypal werent interested as it was a warranty issue. My CC provider wasnt interested as they said their contract was with paypal. Noone took any position that would help me, the seller stopped responding to communication. Very frustrating. Small claims court looked like too much hassle and potential cost at the end of the day. I now wont buy expensive car parts through ebay and have stopped using paypal completely as a result. Do not buy anything from DMSCarspares on ebay by the way!

Yeh ebay/paypal can be annoying, but i can sorta see both sides. They changed their terms recently to make their 30day thing kick in after delivery, which stung me a few years back when it was 30 days after transaction, which i guess is an improvement in the right direction.

Bought a mattress, bloke was supposed to deliver, and his standard delivery schedule was bi-weekly as he served different areas, he strung me along for a month saying his van broke etc, then stopped responding, eventually it transpired his company had gone bust. It was simply bad timing as far as i could see as opposed to a deliberate scam. But my 400quid vanished, paypal didnt care as it was outside of the 30 days by the time i'd opened a case, and the bank basically said "tough, you didnt use a credit card, debit card has no protection". 

Ofcourse, knowing ebay and how it works, i should have opened a case immediately when the first delivery date passed by, and at least then its all recorded and because the case is open, i'd have been fine for getting a refund. 

Unfortunately, ebay have such a monopoly on the market, refusing to use it (and/or paypal) effectively ends up "cutting off your nose to spite your face". Buying on ebay without paypal is proably MORE risky than with, i certainly wouldnt be paying money into someones bank account then crossing my fingers and hoping it arrives! At least if you use paypal the protections are there, you just need to realise their limitations and use them to your advantage.

Thankfully, these incidents are rare on ebay and generally i find it works well enough.

Just bugs me that decent people like us get stung by these cowboys who end up with our cash. Your mattress was a worse loss than my D2 hub. It REALLY grates though!

For landy parts, I will use the likes of LRDirect and Britcar. Very selectively Island4x4 now. My main activity on ebay was really for these parts and I had stupidly bought more and more on there rather than using the suppliers above - so ebay and paypal lose although loss of my trade is of no significance to them whatsoever!

you are actually better protected if you use your credit card direct than you are if you use paypal, the seller enters a legal contract with your card provider and they have a lot more clout and considerably better terms and conditions than Paypal.

13 hours ago, Tal said:

you are actually better protected if you use your credit card direct than you are if you use paypal, the seller enters a legal contract with your card provider and they have a lot more clout and considerably better terms and conditions than Paypal.

Yep. I found that out the hard way. If I use ebay at all now, I'll only pay for low value items with PayPal, but I'm not on there that much at all now. 

Not using PayPal means having to input your credit card details into every site. For that reason i prefer PP and they don't have to be re-keyed either. I totally understand the problems with purchase protection though. 

I think, as much as its not technically how it's supposed to be, the term "buyer beware" still applies.

Regulations still don't force a seller to be honest (personal pride and morals certainly don't)...if they did there would be no need to have feedback forms and star ratings because every seller would have to be just as good as all the others.

Just got round to reading this thread. Wow I can't believe what I've read regarding them. I've used LR Series dozens of times and always got the correct parts in good time.

Its usually between them and britcar I use. Guess I've just been lucky.

^^^^^ agree with that. Also, the parts lookup on the website is particularly useful. It's sometimes hard to filter out the noise in the results but if you know the part number then not only do you get two or theee options, there's always a closeup photo and a good description. In the case of set screws etc this can be really handy. 

4 hours ago, Davo said:

That's true. The detail on their site puts them far ahead of pretty much anyone else I can think of . . . it's the oddball service that lets them down, sadly. 

Try LRDirect or Britcar. Both have a better range of brands, clearly labelled across the price range and most of the time have good pictures of the parts

Thanks for mentioning them, I have done that. LRDirect are great for comparing brands. However, their freight charges have jumped for some reason, which is another story. Mind you, I don't have much choice, having been mucked about by most Australian companies I've tried! 

• 2 years later...

Its an older thread but I wanted to join add that I have just had the same experience as the original poster, with the same person at the same company... to warn others

GBP655 of smaller parts, bearings, bolts etc, sent to Botswana.... over half were just put into bags and unmarked.... when I suggested it would help if the parts were bagged up and marked with the party numbers... here was the reply 

"ITS VERY STRAIGHT FORWARD ESPECIALLY IF IT WAS YOU THAT ORDERED THE PARTS AND OR ARE DOING THE WORK"

Im not a parts supplier and cannot identify part numbers by sight alone

it took 3 hours to identify individual items from the order, and there are still nearly identical looking bolts with three different part numbers that Im not sure are correctly designated. Other suppliers have just bagged them up and actually marked them with part numbers

The biggest problem I had was that I used this company (its the same one as in the run above) as they give you the choice of a replacement bearing or genuine one.... all bearing for a series 2a gearbox... all the bearings I got were clear they were genuine as they came in manufacturer boxes like NTN or SKF and the bearings themselves are marked with identification numbers and manufacturers.... 

However, the output shaft bearing I bought for GBP57 came in a plastic bag and with no markings, even the bearing has no markings at all... so I questioned whether instead of sending the GENUINE expensive bearing i ordered, they sent me the cheaper BGP3 replacement by mistake.... I expressed concern over using it as part of my restoration... here is the answer I got

THESE CAME DIRECT FROM JLR CLASSIC PARTS AS SURPLUS.... THEY USE THEM IN THEIR OWN CLASSIC REBUILDS BUT IF THEY ARE NOT GOOD ENOUGH FOR YOUR RESTORATION NO PROBLEM JUST SEND IT BACK.

I was only asking for clarification as to the fact that it is indeed genuine

They also didn't bother to send items, they didn't bother telling me they had no stock, they just didn't send it.... BUT they still charged me for it.... He suggested that it was not supplied or charged for and that I should "SEE THE INVOICE".... I did and its there , a few items in the invoice all paid for but not sent. I even sent him an image of the charged items.... no reply back as yet.

The point is that I live in Africa and the items they HAVEN'T sent me has stalled the gearbox rebuild completely, if they had told me they had no stock I would have made another place.

This is a case of a very bad supplier and its a disgrace that you get arrogant and sarcastic answers from what could be the owner... they should be named and shamed and this is the worst case of someone not giving a damn about the customer and their questions... We are not all experts in parts and this experience turns a great hobby into something who you get angry at.

Its the same person as listed in the above run, and he and his company should be avoided like the plague, and as its unlikely I will get anywhere with them, the only way is to let people know of such bad experiences

They're getting worse I think. Genuine items arriving loose or in random bags has happened frequently to me in recent years. They may have run out of stock of their genuine parts, but have chosen not to update their website and are trying to supply alternatives in place of this.