Thor top end on 3.5and MS3x

SumDarkPlace

New to this forum.

We've picked up a 1986 90 that has been converted to V8. Not sure of the history of the engine, but is running terribly on a flapper efi. Compression seems good and even, and once running it's smooth and powerful.

I've found a complete Thor top end, so I'm putting the bits together for a sequential fuel and spark MS3X build. It might be overkill, but I'm planning long term, it won't stay 3,5 forever ;)

What problems am I likely to run into mating the Thor to the 3.5? I'm going to use an electric water pump and controller, to reduce losses (but mostly because I found one cheap!)

I'm new to the RV8 and MS, but I've worked with a lot of jap performance engines and mappable ecus in the past.

Thanks in advance.

MS3 is massively overkill and complex too.

MS1 is all thats needed....

Thor Top end fits onto a 3.5 no real issues, 

Fuel ump will be needed, in tank RR ones are good as cheap relaible, your need all the othjer normal MS Stuff, but also some bits for the thor itself, including PRV etcas the ecu controls the pump on thor, also swapping out the CTS.

HAve a lookie at www.megasquirt-v8.co.uk

Any questions ask, I am sure others will add to the questions asked :D

Nige

I have ms2 on my p6, ms1 on my 90.

I have to say I prefer ms2 even if it just means I can drive the factory idle stepper, some of the other features are handy too (incorporate afr, the clt/mat correction table etc...).

As Bowie says, support going forward is something that should be considered too. 

If the OP wants to go sequential then they will need ms3. 

I'd suggest having a read of the feature comparison tables here:

http://www.msextra.com/feature-xref.html

And figuring out what is required, what is nice to have, what the budget is and then go from there. 

Have fun! 

5 hours ago, Hybrid_From_Hell said:

MS3 is massively overkill and complex too.

MS1 is all thats needed....

Thanks Nige

I'm deliberately going over complex, as I'm intending to go sequential. 

The 3.5 is effectively a testbed to learn the MS, and what I can do with it. A different block will come in the future, once I have got the hang of things.

2 hours ago, dangerous doug said:

If your buying the top end make sure you get the push fitting that feeds the fuel rail and the rocker covers. The breathers are in different places on the inlet manifold and the oil fill is on the other side and a lot taller

Thanks, good to know!

I suspect I'll be fabricating a lot of pipework anyway :)

5 hours ago, Quagmire said:

I have ms2 on my p6, ms1 on my 90.

I have to say I prefer ms2 even if it just means I can drive the factory idle stepper, some of the other features are handy too (incorporate afr, the clt/mat correction table etc...).

As Bowie says, support going forward is something that should be considered too. 

If the OP wants to go sequential then they will need ms3. 

I'd suggest having a read of the feature comparison tables here:

http://www.msextra.com/feature-xref.html

And figuring out what is required, what is nice to have, what the budget is and then go from there. 

Have fun! 

Definitely planning sequential, and COPs. Never liked the idea of batch fire and wasted spark, it seems so wasteful!