Glow Plugs

Dirtylarry

Hi All,

My glow plugs light used to come on. Then (I do not know if it is related) when the solenoid packed up, they stopped coming on and never have since, even though I got a new solenoid

The car starts fine except lots of white smoke. I know the engine can start ok at low temperatures, but the principle of it is really bugging me!

I have got a replacement timer switch/relay but still no joy.

I have tested the wires and have 12v on the thing yellow/black wire, and 12v on the orange/brown wire, when it is connected to the battery (I say this as bizarrely the orange/brown wire was hidden inside a fabric tube and when the solenoid packed up (and I could not start the car) I opened the bonnet but did not see this attached to anything) (not that I knew it was there TBH)))

I have tested the thick yellow and black wire, at the glow plugs, but there does not seem to be any joy.

a couple of confusing things, I do not know if they are related...there is a small wire and connector near the oil filter sensor (which has a sensor attached) also there is another wire and connector hanging about near the solenoid. are these anything to do with the  timer switch.

all help gratefully received

Jamie

15 hours ago, Boydie said:

What model, engine ?? apart from obviously diesel is it a 200Tdi, 300Tdi, TD5 ? or even newer V6 ?

Yes that would be good to know.... what i can presume is that it's a D1 cos newer modells dont have timer relay but the year is important

is your's equipped with alarm/central locking? ... if not we'll speak then, if yes, go to connector C209(attached) and see if you get earth on pin 6 when you turn ignition on, don't unplug the connector insert a needle in the pin to measure on it if you can't reach it with the probe

C209  D1 view.jpg

C209 D1.jpg