Tyre recommendations

mat2495

Hi all,

I'm looking for a new set of mud terrain or similar, in 255/85R16. So far as I have found so far that gives me 3 options

BFG KM2 - 5 at 739.95

Maxxis bighorn MT762 - 5 at 660.00

Maxxis M8090 (creepy crawlers?) - 5 at 988.00

Straight away price pretty much knocks the creepy crawlers out of the equation unless they are the best thing ever to sit under a land rover, has anybody used the other 2? the 90 spends 90% of its time on road, but doesn't do that many miles, so road performance probably comes second to off road performance within reason. 

Are the BF goodrich worth the extra? or is there an alternative that i haven't found? I guess one thing to be said for the BFG option is I am more likely to be able to find a replacement should I need it in a few years time

Thanks

On my 3rd set of KM2's and just love them.

Very little road noise, good manners on and off road, seem to last forever and the size you quote above (Same as mine) gives good clearance under the diff....

Current set on 50k miles and still over 6mm tread !

IMG_5417.JPG

Neil 

I also have km2's that have done around 50k and still have plenty of tread. Although mine are 285/75x16. We have km1 on the other one done who knows how many miles as I bought them second hand. They are 255/85x16. I love both sets they are well behaved on the road (the only time you remember they are muds is heavy braking in the wet and then they are predictable). They are a little noisy the km2 are quieter. I think they are the best normal mud tyre off road. It would take something pretty amazing for me to buy anything else now.

Mike

As above re BFGs. I'm still trying to wear out my KM1s ?

They're excellent all round tyres. Good road manners for a MT, exceptionally long lasting and shrug off damage well. At 8 years old they're starting to perish.

I expect the KM2 will perform at lest as well. I've heard they're quieter running than their predecessor.

The creepy crawlers from what I've heard (from owners) are not that nice in the road.

The only other thing to add about km2's is unlike km1's they seem to wear quite quickly to start with. At first this worried me as bfg have a reputation for legendary mileage however the wear seemed to just stop. I guess they use soft rubber on the outside to get through the noise regs.

Mike 

+1 to the BFG's  my KM1's lasted 50k miles so was a no brainer to move to the newer KM2's when the time came

They are quieter and not showing any signs of much wear at around 10k miles

km1's were 255 85 r16

km2's are 285 75 r16