Land Rover Discovery 300 TDi lift "2 inch

beorn

Hi beorn

I lifted my 300 TDI 2 " and fitted the same Tyres withoit them rubbing against the body. The only problem, it was touching the Radius arms and I needed to adjust my turning circle by adjusting the steering stoppers.

I have fitted  Terrafirma Big bore+2 shocks and Heavy duty coils.

Needed to fit D2 Double Cardan front propshaft and  point my front diff flange 3 deg more towards the transfer case. (without that experienced huge vibration)

I had to V cut the Radius arms and bend it slightly to comply.

I am very happy with the result.

15 hours ago, Chicken Drumstick said:

V cutting and bending the radius arms???? Wouldn't be my choice. Did you at least reweld them?

As for tyres. If you use it on road they'll probably be fine. Off road they will most likely rub. Look up camel cut for the rear arch. And front bumper end caps will hit the tyres. 

Definately welded and reinforced.

I am driving on serious bad roads and when go fishing very deep axle twisters on sand roads and the tyres never rubbed even on full load.

Maybe the heavy duty coils assisted ?

I have also lowered the sway bar to allow axle travel more and ensure propshaft do not touch the sway bar.

Shortened the rear trailing arms as well to get better angle on propshaft (Terrafirma heavy duty rear p/shaft )

Front.jpg

Radius Arm.jpg

Arch Space.jpg

You sure they are 235/85R16 and not 235/75R16? They look a little small?

Guess the difference is, a 'new' tread road tyre is often small for the size, even if they are 235/85's. And stock wheel will sit them more inboard (although give no lock). And the anti roll bars probably limit some flex still.

This was my Disco on stock suspension and 31.10.50R15 BFG's (they measure under 31") running on 15x8 rims. As you can see there isn't a lot of room and they did hit the front end caps when you turned the wheel. Had to remove them before driving it after fitting.

A 2" lift will certainly help when the vehicle is static and not moving. But under compression the wheels should still end up in the same sort of place.

DSC_0394Large.jpg

DSC_0395Large.jpg

This is it now running some 235/85R16 MT's, fairly chunky ones and close to 32" tall. Still stock suspension, but heavily trimmed arches. Unless you have no flex, I can't see how these wouldn't hit the body, 2" lift or not.

6x4-DSC002354.jpg

6x4-DSC00235.jpg

The Camel Trophy Discovery's used to run 7.50 x 16 tyres on stock rims. About the same height as a good 235, but narrower. They still had to perform the 'camel cut' on the rear arches. As they tyre would impact the arch off road otherwise. As can be clearly seen here:

cameltrophy-1.jpg

CT Disco's ran 7.00x16 tyres

It's mainly down to wheel offset - the CT Disco's ran standard LR rims with very little offset so the tyre is 'inside' the arch. When they changed to 225/75x16, then 245/70x16 they kept with a standard alloy with little offset.

I run 245/75x16's. With standard rims you can run these without a lift and just a small 'Camel Cut'. Howvere I have modular's on, so run a 1" lift on the front (with just a touch of rubbing) and 64mm of lift on the rear, with a 'Camel Cut' - this gives me about 5mm of clearance. I loathe lifts. But I run a 5 door so arch trimming is a pita and I wanted easily replaceable tyres with a bit extra under the diff...

I didn't set out to lift my Disco but what I needed to do was install a suspension system, --  springs and shocks -- that compensated for the additional weight in the front of:-

An ARB steel bull bar,  1200 lb winch and an additional HD battery

At the rear, an ARB steel bumper, 135 litre fuel tank, 100 litre water tank, fridge/freezer, food storage drawers, additional spare wheel and tyre tools spares etc.  

I settled for "Tuff Dog" suspension and their +300 kilo constant rated springs and their foam filled shocks.  The combination of which raised the car around 35 mm from standard.  

I still retain the standard Disco alloy rims as they are strong and cheap to replace second hand from my local wrecker. No bodywork alterations were required nor have I had to adjust the steering stops. 

23 hours ago, Chicken Drumstick said:

You sure they are 235/85R16 and not 235/75R16? They look a little small?

Well That is what they say on the tyre... Except if the Chinese got their sizing wrong.

Might look small on the vehicle due to a 1 inch body lift on top of the 2 inch suspension lift.

I still think I shouldn't have done the body lift (Just created a lot of geometrical problems for myself and took a lot of money to fix)

Spare wheel.jpg

Tyre size.jpg

Rather square looking tyres, probably why they look a little smaller.

With a 1inch body lift, I expect you'll be OK with the rear arches, front bumper end caps may be a different story, but they are disposable off road anyways.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Bowie69 said:

Rather square looking tyres, probably why they look a little smaller.

With a 1inch body lift, I expect you'll be OK with the rear arches, front bumper end caps may be a different story, but they are disposable off road anyways.

Yes, Was a problem until I did a complete front bumper mod- (And to make space for the winch)

18 hours ago, Chicken Drumstick said:

No worries :)

Just thought it was worth an ask as I've know it happen before. I'm more used to MT patterns, which maybe just tend to look bigger.

Yes Thank you, agreed MT just looks bigger and mean, The AT last longer on gravel and sandy roads and my Disco is almost daily use..

11 hours ago, honitonhobbit said:

Iain

What size tyres do you run?

Bridgestone Desert Duellers;  Light Truck rated 8 ply side walls.   LT235/70R16  Style - 697.    The ones on my Disco are my third set, I've managed to get well over 85,000 kilometres or 50,000 miles from each previous set of six (I carry two spares) of which well over 45% would be driving off road on corrugated outback tracks.  

I once had a set of Coopers AAT Discoverers but the treads literally melted in over 50*C outback temperatures and were down to the tread marks after only 9000 kilometres, Coopers refused to replace them and I've never encouraged anyone to buy them since, quite frankly their warranty and after sales service is poo !!!

I've only ever had two punctures with the Bridgestones both of which were caused by spinifex needles penetrating the tyre through the valleys between the tyre tread lands, at the time I would have been running them on around 12 psi driving over very soft sand dunes in the Gibson Desert in WA and both punctures happened on the same cross country trip but some two weeks apart, both were eventually located and plugged. If any of you dont think that spinifex grass spikes can penetrate rubber, or flesh try sitting on a clump ! 

As you can see from the attached photo the trick is to follow camel tracks over the dunes as they always tend to select the easiest route, you can just make out the tracks to the front near side on my trusty 300Tdi.   

Disco in GSD.jpg

I still carry scars from Spinifex - which isn't actually real Spinifex (a coastal grass sp), but is actually something called Triodia wiseana (or similar sp). It's nasty stuff

I'm no fan of Cooper tyres at all - I find they crack up really quickly - especially on the side walls. Bridgestone is the preferred fitment for Toyota aid vehicles - got to be about right then... Edited to say: Except Cooper AT3's which I'm sure are made by someone else as they are brilliant

Edited by honitonhobbit