X-Lite LED retrofit fail - Attempt 1

As I'm quite the fan of LED torches and illumination in general. I thought I'd see how cheap and easy my X-Eng X-Lites could be upgraded to LED.

Attempt 1:

Found these claimed 6w quad MR16 LED bulbs on ebay.

C78555B0-7AAD-427C-918A-D112734E6ADC.jpg

It looks a bit bigger than the 50w halogen.

DD0C8CC5-2C56-4FDC-9263-D6EA37C8F98A.jpg

But fitted the X-Lite housing a treat.

1297F35E-7BE5-467B-A4A7-5E5DE471FB9E.jpg

The LED can be had in a 'cool' 6000k or 'warm' 3000k tint. This is the 6000k variant.

On first look it appears to be working fine.

C283952B-D651-4C13-8F4F-084F9FC34929.jpg

But as soon as night fell it was clear to see that the LED output was very sub par to the halogen...

38DF20FD-55F7-40E4-8840-57B05BD395D4.jpg

E28582AA-0B6C-4196-8F3E-F5F2AF31488E.jpg

Led:

A4771ADD-08FD-443E-94C1-88F965E7DC2F.jpg

Halogen:

574E5EE0-1A5B-473C-957B-4B28516238A6.jpg

Back to the drawing board it seems...

I have a claimed 9w and 12w MR16 bulbs on the way to try, although I think the 12w will be physically too long for the X-Lite. If none of these direct replacement LED bulbs can match or exceed the halogen, then a custom build might be the only way.

Attempt 2:

pending....

• 2 years later...

Hmm. Just had a look at a custom LED (made in UK) I've got sat here next to my sofa and quoted 970 to 1040 lumens at 4000k. Not sure of it's current draw but could try and remember to wire it up tomorrow and see.

Oh and that's a single LED about 8mm square. And as it's designed and manufactured in the UK it will meet its quoted output. Oh and they are not that expensive if I remember correctly.

10 minutes ago, daveturnbull said:

Do let us know how you get on, and where you bought it from.

Was that aimed at me?

The LED is from Plessey but they're custom made for my father for some lights he makes, this particular one would be a bit annoying for a vehicle because it's got a forward voltage of 12.4V which means you'd realistically need a boost supply to drive it. It's just an LED on a PCB at the moment - I just happened to have one on the table next to me when I came across this thread. So integrating it into a X-lite would require some fabrication but perfectly doable.

LED technology has advanced quite a bit in the couple of years since this thread was started. There may well be better LEDs available now.

That said, I was going to comment that the OP was comparing a 6000K cool white LED with a halogen, which is probably around 2500K. Comparing luminance different colour temperatures is not going to give a very fair result. I'd have tried the warm white LED vs the halogen. SImonr once wrote some good posts explaining how our night time perception of detail is affected by different colour temps.

• 2 months later...
On 1/30/2019 at 7:57 PM, daveturnbull said:

Holy thread revival etc... etc... 

@Chicken Drumstick did you ever make any progress with attempt 2?

I found these on ebay which claim 15w / 620-700 lumens. Wondered if they might be any good? 

Hi. Only just seen this. Apologies for the delayed reply. 

I did did have an attempt 2. But I didn’t really find anything that out performed the halogens. The halogens are also quite resistant to being dipped underwater such as when fording. The last set of MR16’s I actually pulled them apart and removed the driver board from the unit and remote mounted in a sealed box high up in the engine bay. My final idea was to actually build a custom MR16 using one of the led units I’d got. Using a better LED and driver. But I never finished the project. I might pick it up again next winter though. Less need for the lights during the summer. 

• 9 months later...

Has anyone had any further luck with this? I've got 2 x-lites on the back of my 90 and I'm fed up with changing the bulbs which seem to fail regularly. They are useful to have back there, but I'd like a long-lasting replacement!

Alternatively, any good source of cheap LED work lights?

Rich

I've fitted a pair of these on the back of the 110 as a set of high reversing lights and been quite impressed by them. Not the cheapest around but they've been on for a few months and survived being bounced around the Scottish Highlands in gales. More than can be said for the passenger wiper on the way south.

38e20-18w-cree-led-work-lamp-4-inch-100m

I just got some 20mm box section, ran a slit through it and tapped a couple of threads, cheap gutter clamp because I didn't want to drill through the roof.

Pretty impressive actually. I'll try and remember to get a photo this evening depending on what happens with puppies (due date was yesterday but nothing).

In the absence of photos if I reverse into the tradesmans entrance (white wall one) at my place the pair of them will light up the entire driveway and lawns on either side comfortably.

Brackets look different and interesting the road pictures seem to show round ones...

Anyway overdue but I had a good excuse (puppies being born last night) but here's a picture of mine, I've deliberately aimed them down a fair chunk because that's what I wanted.

DSC_0019.thumb.JPG.6ea511005c1e06039ff0c4f9c7b43f7a.JPG

Yeah the picture doesn’t show the lens frosted like the FirstFour ones either but I thought it’s worth a chance as they’re listed as the flood beam ones. If they’re no good I can send them back or sell them on. I’m sure there are better ones out there but I don’t want to spend a huge amount on something that gets used very rarely!

14 hours ago, Ed Poore said:

Brackets look different and interesting the road pictures seem to show round ones...

Anyway overdue but I had a good excuse (puppies being born last night) but here's a picture of mine, I've deliberately aimed them down a fair chunk because that's what I wanted.

DSC_0019.thumb.JPG.6ea511005c1e06039ff0c4f9c7b43f7a.JPG

Puppies!

I was trying to keep the thread on topic <_< but since you insist...

318317684_DSC_0022(1).thumb.JPG.b30681e9a0c29c4e1aaf52a000d1d9f5.JPG

Mum has a pic somewhere of the four alive generations of our dogs all in the same shot.

Be a few weeks before they reach maximum cuteness (eyes are still closed and they're basically stimulated feeding and peeing machines at the moment).

• Like 3