Land Rover 101 wheel spacers

Defender

Hi Everyone,

I need to get some wheel spacers made for my 101.

I've never had anything like this made before so I'm just wondering how much would I be looking at to have something like this machined?

Can anyone recommend somewhere that would be capable of the work?

The measurements are:

The PCD is 6 x 205mm (Standard Land Rover 101 wheel stud pattern)

Total diameter is 250mm

Centre hole is 133.5mm

Thickness needs to be 30mm

Thread is M16 x 1.5mm pitch

Thanks,

On 04/11/2016 at 0:13 AM, garrycol said:

What rims are you intending to run??  I have moved to Mach 6 rims (6 stud Mach 5s) and the offset on these pushed the track out a bit more than the 30mm you are after on each wheel.

Hi,

The rims are Craddocks.

The 101 has the Zeus disc brake conversion fitted on the front and this catches the rims.

Mach 6 would probably solve the issue but I have other things to do on this project at the moment and at the moment I can't move it because the rims don't fit which is holding me up  (Didn't know the rims wouldn't fit until after I'd sold my originals and tried to fit the new one's :().

14 hours ago, Defender said:

Hi,

The rims are Craddocks.

The 101 has the Zeus disc brake conversion fitted on the front and this catches the rims.

Mach 6 would probably solve the issue but I have other things to do on this project at the moment and at the moment I can't move it because the rims don't fit which is holding me up  (Didn't know the rims wouldn't fit until after I'd sold my originals and tried to fit the new one's :().

First thing - I have heard that Craddock rims are a bit different to the original 101 rims.

Second thing - did you use the spacers that Zeus provide to make up for the thickness of the original drum which obviously are no longer there.

Third thing - there is a little bit of grinding to do when the brackets etc are fitted up, but with standard wheels there are no clearance issues with the wheels - see this post on AULRO  http://www.aulro.com/afvb/101-forward-controls-variations/174377-disc-brakes.html     You may have to join to view but is an excellent thread.  He mentions modified wheels but the inside if the wheel is exactly the same a normal 101 wheels - an his normal 101 wheels fit.

So did you install the provided spacers with the brake kit?  Also your wheels might be slight different to the 101 wheels which I suspect is the issue.

As a side issue - the zeus disks used in the AULRO link above all cracked at the bolt holes about 2 years after installation and were replaced by Zeus - not sure of the arrangement but apparently the new ones are modified in some way to prevent this - but not sure.

Good luck

Garry

On ‎07‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 3:45 AM, garrycol said:

First thing - I have heard that Craddock rims are a bit different to the original 101 rims.

Second thing - did you use the spacers that Zeus provide to make up for the thickness of the original drum which obviously are no longer there.

Third thing - there is a little bit of grinding to do when the brackets etc are fitted up, but with standard wheels there are no clearance issues with the wheels - see this post on AULRO  http://www.aulro.com/afvb/101-forward-controls-variations/174377-disc-brakes.html     You may have to join to view but is an excellent thread.  He mentions modified wheels but the inside if the wheel is exactly the same a normal 101 wheels - an his normal 101 wheels fit.

So did you install the provided spacers with the brake kit?  Also your wheels might be slight different to the 101 wheels which I suspect is the issue.

As a side issue - the zeus disks used in the AULRO link above all cracked at the bolt holes about 2 years after installation and were replaced by Zeus - not sure of the arrangement but apparently the new ones are modified in some way to prevent this - but not sure.

Good luck

Garry

Hi Garry,

Thanks for the link.

Yes the spacers are fitted they are literally only a few mm thick (3mm from memory).

You are correct that the rims are different, basically the inside of the rim isn't flat it's ridged presumably to add strength, this obviously reduces the internal diameter of the rim and therefore the caliper catches. (Should have taken a picture it might make more sense).

The only ways round it are:
1. Back to drums (Not keen on that idea it stops pretty well with the discs).
2. Different wheels (Again not keen as these are brand new).
3. 30mm spacers (This seems the easiest option, although be it at a cost).

Pete

On ‎06‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 2:13 PM, Bowie69 said:

Some washers, temporarily?

Yes that's what it has temporarily :) ....................... it's ok moving it round the yard but not sure I fancy driving it on the road with them on though.

How much do you need to move the wheels out?  I don't know about 101, but regular SII and SIII drums are 1/4" or 6mm thick, and I'd expect 101 drums to be similar or thicker, so you should have plenty of stud length and strength for spacers at least twice the thickness of what you are using to put the wheel nave in the standard position relative to the hub.  I did this on my 109 when I converted to discs, using the centres of scrap brake drums turned down on a lathe as spacers.

7 hours ago, Snagger said:

How much do you need to move the wheels out?  I don't know about 101, but regular SII and SIII drums are 1/4" or 6mm thick, and I'd expect 101 drums to be similar or thicker, so you should have plenty of stud length and strength for spacers at least twice the thickness of what you are using to put the wheel nave in the standard position relative to the hub.  I did this on my 109 when I converted to discs, using the centres of scrap brake drums turned down on a lathe as spacers.

They need to be 30mm so I really need some making.

Ah, OK.  I thought the 30mm issue was perhaps down to that being the normal size for after market Land Rover spacers and not the amount of interference between the brakes and wheels.

If standard wheels fit the brakes, would it be cheaper for you to find someone to trade a standard set for your after market wheels?

On 09/11/2016 at 2:47 PM, Snagger said:

Ah, OK.  I thought the 30mm issue was perhaps down to that being the normal size for after market Land Rover spacers and not the amount of interference between the brakes and wheels.

If standard wheels fit the brakes, would it be cheaper for you to find someone to trade a standard set for your after market wheels?

The issue is the old rims are too narrow for the tyres I have, hence buying the upgraded one's from Craddocks which are wider.

The spacers will sort the issue I just need to find some at a decent price.

You are not going to find spacers for the 101 wheel pattern (only fit 101 and Unimog) and 30mm is too much to simply space out and keep a safe number of threads in contact between studs and nuts.  You are going to have to get adaptors made that bolt to the current studs and the wheel then bolts to the adaptor.  Expensive stuff.

Really the best option is to get standard 101 rims widened  - I understand you get them banded in the UK which is not legal here, where we just get a wider rim welded onto the centre - this was done on the 101 in the link I put in above - the rings are actually quite cheap.

As an alternative could the Craddock wheel centers be moved 30mm in on the rims to provide the clearance you need.

What size tyres are you running - I am running 315/75R16s and yes you do need a wider rim - mine are 8" and technically a bit narrow for the tyres but are OK in reality.

Edited by garrycol