Defender Production To End In South Africa

Brian

Thin end of the wedge. There is no guarantee that Defender production won't just stop after 2005. I don't think Fraud make any money out of them, and as the PAG is losing money.....

So how come they suddenly have all this space at Solihull? They moved the Freelander out because of lack of space, and now they are to make more Defenders there?

If you go back to 1994, LR was making Classis RR's, Disco I's and Defenders. These three models had a lot in common with engines, gearboxes and axles.

Now only the Defender uses the R380/LT230 box and the TD5 motor. I reckon they'll can it (with lots of run-out Classic models, etc.)

I don't we've seen the end of the Defender yet :-) I think it'll carry on for a couple of years yet, before being replaced. But yes, as you say, certainly there'll be a few special editions to get the most out of it at that stage. I seem to remember special editions of other models in the range going on over a couple of years. I suspect we'll see prices go up too.

I do agree that the TD5 is going to vanish soon though, most tipped candidate is a Transit van engine, which seems suitable and is very modern. I've seen talk somewhere of the TDV6 and 6 speed gearbox beng used, but there I think that might be an end of life special, or only seen in the replacement. I must say that the idea of 440Nm torque and a 6 speed gearbox that can handle it would make it a remarkable Defender, especially in XS guise ! :-)

Regards,

Brian

LOL that could be, but still the most lkely is a very similar Defender to the one we have now, with a different 4 cyl engine and a bit higher price that reflects the different sourcing.

They'll all have the same depreciation as the current ones though.

:-)

Regards,

Brian