Td5 rear wiper wiring help please

I wonder if anyone could help me?

I'd like to have one switch for the rear wash wipe on my Td5 - on a non latching button so that a press does the wiper and holding it in does the jet too. So in a similar way to the button on the end of the stalk for the front wipers.

I don't know if the stalk button doesn't activate the jet when you press it in because on some design element? Or simply because it takes a while for the fluid to pump through? For the rear though I think activating the pump and wipe at the same time will give the same effect.

For the pump the switch simply switches a live to the motor. For the wiper it looks like it switches an earth for the activating side of a relay.

IMG_0264.PNG

I'm limited to the standard td5 switch - which isn't a dual pole switch, so could anyone suggest how I might wire them through one switch please?

I guess you've got two choices here, either disconnect the rear pump motor from it's existing wires and re-wire it in parallel with the coil of the rear wipe relay, or add an extra relay with it's coil wired to the existing wiper relay and use it's normally-open contact to replicate the existing washer switch.

The washer fluid delay is just the time taken to refill the pipe, I believe there's a non-return valve in there somewhere to stop it leaking back but I suspect they get gummed up after a while.

Thank you for the reply!

I'm a bit slow with wiring, especially relays, so will need to think that through. I think the rear motor sits in the bottle at the front whilst the rear wiper relay is on the back door - So at the moment it seems that then relay plan maybe the only way I can restrict the changes to being behind the dash?

Agreed, the relay would be easiest, you could connect the coil between the white/green wire on the wash switch and the black/green wire on the rear wipe switch, then link the white/green to one side of the relay contact and the other side to the black/light green wire on the wash switch.

Edited by crwoody
Clarity

I'm trying to follow that ....

The way I'd imagined it was taking the switched live from the washer switch in the Black/Light Green wire to the coil and then to earth - so the coil gets a live feed when the switch is pressed.

Then replacing the switch to earth wiper switch with the other side of the coil: so black and green in and switched to earth...

Does that sound right ? 

This is great learning for me by the way. Thank you !

• 1 year later...

@Mo Murphy I did get it set up in the end Mo - but I can’t remember what I did at the moment ...

i think I set it up as you said - I didn’t bother with an intermittent relay, just the dual switch - push to wipe and hold to swipe (so to speak).

I had another thread on here about it because I had a bit of an issue with it ... I’ll have a look for it.

• Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, Mo Murphy said:

@Anderzander

Did you ever resolve this Stephen ?

I'm considering using another relay switched with the rear washer pump supply to switch an earth to the rear wiper relay to run it while the washer switch is pressed in.

Mo

That's the way to do it -

2002_Rear_Wash-_Wipe_-_MODIFIED.jpg

• Thanks 1