Fitting a Log Burner in a garage

Cornish Rattler

Please fit a CO detector with all these DIY fitments, not being a killjoy but we get called to a lot of CO incidents regarding log burners and if you are spending a lot of "alone" time in the garage with doors and windows closed then a little warning that things aren't working well may save your life. There's also specific heights and distances for the flue termination to ensure adequate performance.

Document J of the building regs will tell you what you need to know.

It's all up and running now but only tried it with cardboard just to seal the joints with heat and even from just the cardboard the garage was pretty warm and can't wait to try some heat logs or even proper logs.

The only thing we didn't buy was a bracket for the top stack as we wasn't sure where the stove was going but it went where I just wanted it so for now we made a temporary bracket but will get one ASAP 

23 minutes ago, steve b said:

Don't be tempted to throw too many hotties on at once , I service a factory that makes them and they are about 4 times as effective as a similar sized natural log of the same type of wood , enjoy :)

cheers

Steve b

Thanks for that yeah I will experiment with it first, think a cardboard box lasted nearly 5 mins

If that's the 9.2kw one you were on about then construction regs would require a vent if it was installed in a house (so presumably in the garage too) - but I would imagine that in practice you have more than enough ventilation already. If not you have an exceptionally well sealed garage!

I got thinking about storing a small amount of logs in the garage to help keep them dry, I know I'm going to try using heat logs first but will probably use proper logs aswell, I have seen pic's of log burners in houses and have logs stored next to the log burner aswell as stacked up against interior walls so though would this be ok in a garage, what do you think

Edited by Cornish Rattler

17 hours ago, Cornish Rattler said:

I got thinking about storing a small amount of logs in the garage to help keep them dry, I know I'm going to try using heat logs first but will probably use proper logs aswell, I have seen pic's of log burners in houses and have logs stored next to the log burner aswell as stacked up against interior walls so though would this be ok in a garage, what do you think

Is your stove designed for storing wood near it (some have a store underneath)? If not, be very careful - a neighbour down the road had a house fire as a result of storing logs too close to their stove. Fire brigade got there in time and they only had localised damage in their living room, but it could easily have been a lot worse.

Your stove should have specified dimensions for the non-combustible zone around it (i.e. the area which must be clear of combustible material). Store the logs outside this.