Fitting a Log Burner in a garage

Cornish Rattler

It's heating an area about half your size - but if I was to really stoke it up it would overwhelm it.

the pedestal has another advantage - you use less flu pipe :-). I just used building blocks.

What is important on a woodburner is that you get good air control. Once it's up to temperature you can slow it right down and really maximise it's efficiency.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Anderzander said:

It's heating an area about half your size - but if I was to really stoke it up it would overwhelm it.

the pedestal has another advantage - you use less flu pipe :-). I just used building blocks.

What is important on a woodburner is that you get good air control. Once it's up to temperature you can slow it right down and really maximise it's efficiency.

Are right nice one, yeah mite look into putting it on a pedestal 

Yeah they do those VAT free days every now and then but the next one will probable be when the weather is warmer and I won't get one then and I can't wait till then so looking at getting one next month but just going looking today and get an idea, when I get it my mate is going to build me a brick pedestal to stand it on so it's easier to load up and clean out but still need to decide where it's going first

Just got back from Machine Mart and looked at all the log burners they had the wentwerth was a bit small in size saw a billingham I quite liked then spotted a nice big popbellied one 9.2kw with a hot plate for just under £300 so we decided on this instead, can't wait now

Edited by Cornish Rattler

My shop is 24ft x 28ft x 10ft with 6" insulated walls and ceiling.  The door, 12ft wide by 8ft high, is also nominally insulated, although it is only about 1.5 in. thick. 

I have a Dutchwest 2461 wood burner with a stated output of 3 - 8.5 Kw. Of significance is that this burner has a catalytic converter to "burn" the initial combustion smoke, resulting in much reduced emissions.  This catalytic converter results in temperatures at the top of the body of the stove of 550 - 600 Deg. C.   I also have a pedestal fan. When I fire up I set the fan to blow on the single wall flue, since this warms up almost immediately.  When the body of the stove has warmed I reset the fan to blow on the body.  The shop warms by about 10 deg. C within less than 1 hr, and I then keep it ticking over for the remainder of my time in the shop, usually several hours.  My installation is fully approved by the Building Inspector and our insurance company, and I have all appropriate certification.

In summary, your 9+Kw unit will have you in a Turkish bath!

Mike

On ‎12‎/‎21‎/‎2016 at 6:14 AM, Troll Hunter said:

My shop is 24ft x 28ft x 10ft with 6" insulated walls and ceiling.  The door, 12ft wide by 8ft high, is also nominally insulated, although it is only about 1.5 in. thick. 

I have a Dutchwest 2461 wood burner with a stated output of 3 - 8.5 Kw. Of significance is that this burner has a catalytic converter to "burn" the initial combustion smoke, resulting in much reduced emissions.  This catalytic converter results in temperatures at the top of the body of the stove of 550 - 600 Deg. C.   I also have a pedestal fan. When I fire up I set the fan to blow on the single wall flue, since this warms up almost immediately.  When the body of the stove has warmed I reset the fan to blow on the body.  The shop warms by about 10 deg. C within less than 1 hr, and I then keep it ticking over for the remainder of my time in the shop, usually several hours.  My installation is fully approved by the Building Inspector and our insurance company, and I have all appropriate certification.

In summary, your 9+Kw unit will have you in a Turkish bath!

Mike

Yeah I am not saying it won't be hot in there but my garage isn't insulated and probably never will be other than where the burner will be going to stop the walls from getting to hot

On 02/01/2017 at 0:04 PM, Cornish Rattler said:

Its days like this I wish I had my stove in the garage, stuff to do and too cold to do it :mellow:

Got given the day off today so as I had nowt to do I decided to go on eBay and order 20 Hotties heat logs for £20 ready for when I get the stove up and running.

what ever you do don't google Hotties as you will get burnt :D