Fitting a Log Burner in a garage

Cornish Rattler

46 minutes ago, geoffbeaumont said:

Is your stove designed for storing wood near it (some have a store underneath)? If not, be very careful - a neighbour down the road had a house fire as a result of storing logs too close to their stove. Fire brigade got there in time and they only had localised damage in their living room, but it could easily have been a lot worse.

Your stove should have specified dimensions for the non-combustible zone around it (i.e. the area which must be clear of combustible material). Store the logs outside this.

Ok I will see what the handbook say's but where I plan to store them will be about 2' away from the stove or if I use the other area in the garage it will be a good 6' away from the stove 

Edited by Cornish Rattler

Geoff speaks sense, in the building regs there are dimensions for log store areas next to a stove, as well as probably recommendations from the manufacturer.

To be honest, I would keep logs well away, and probably not even in the garage, a small store outside (plastic cheapie job from B&Q is easy to hide and keeps them out the way, you can use the saved space for move useful stuff , like working in!

12 hours ago, Bowie69 said:

Geoff speaks sense, in the building regs there are dimensions for log store areas next to a stove, as well as probably recommendations from the manufacturer.

To be honest, I would keep logs well away, and probably not even in the garage, a small store outside (plastic cheapie job from B&Q is easy to hide and keeps them out the way, you can use the saved space for move useful stuff , like working in!

Ok will look into buying a plastic garden storage / bench and store some in there then bring them in when I need to use them

I knocked together a gas bottle wood burner with a couple of old brake discs to make the pedestal and a flat top with 100mm steel box for the flue (it doesn't always have to be round) with the doors closed I can get up to a very comfortable 20 degrees in there in depths of winter.  This morning while the radio was telling me of all the snow and storm surges everywhere it was a pleasant 10 degrees with the door open as I was bobbing in and out to fiddle with the abs sensors.

I was that happy with my little stove I knocked together 2 more out of 13kg bottles, intending to stick them on fleabay before the winter but haven't gotten round to it yet.

3 hours ago, Igol said:

I knocked together a gas bottle wood burner with a couple of old brake discs to make the pedestal and a flat top with 100mm steel box for the flue (it doesn't always have to be round) with the doors closed I can get up to a very comfortable 20 degrees in there in depths of winter.  This morning while the radio was telling me of all the snow and storm surges everywhere it was a pleasant 10 degrees with the door open as I was bobbing in and out to fiddle with the abs sensors.

I was that happy with my little stove I knocked together 2 more out of 13kg bottles, intending to stick them on fleabay before the winter but haven't gotten round to it yet.

Nice, yeah can't wait till tomorrow and try the heat logs out 

Pallets if you can get them are ideal, free and keep you warm while you take a maul to them.

Our old house had a multifuel stove with back boiler that I'd linked into a thermal store and then the radiators(pre HETAS becoming more than an advisory service).  Pump was on a simple timer and there was a thermostat on the tank(store) that would kick in when the external temp hit around 40, it was a bit of work to keep the fire fed so the wife didn't like it while I found it quite satisfying.  The nice thing was as it got colder you'd pile on more fuel to keep the heat up which would raise the temp in the tank and then the rads would kick in and the whole house was toasty.

Now on GCH and guess what the wife misses?

Had a good day in the garage with the stove took a while till I got it how I think it's should be, no smoke, pleanty of heat and a slow burn, damper fully open, both adjustable dampers closed and the door fully open the garage was very toasty, I even bought a whistling kettle and made a few brews on it aswell, well chuffed 

Had another burn today fired the stove up by using fire lighters and a piece of log cut up for kindling with all vents open inc damper, then once it got going I put a couple of heat logs on and closed the vents but kept the damper open then later opened the door and later fully closed the damper after the garage got nice and toasty as I found I could control the heat better by messing with the damper and there wasn't any smoke coming from the flue at all :D

Anyway here are some pic's starting from firing the stove up

2011-03-25 05.08.31.jpg

2011-03-25 05.06.57.jpg

On 14/01/2017 at 7:51 AM, Igol said:

Pallets if you can get them are ideal, free and keep you warm while you take a maul to them.

Pallets are OK....but they just burn so damn quickly and are hardly worth the effort cutting them up. I need to get round to modifying my stove to be able to control the air going in as even decent wood burns so quickly.

On ‎1‎/‎26‎/‎2017 at 11:10 AM, landroversforever said:

Pallets are OK....but they just burn so damn quickly and are hardly worth the effort cutting them up. I need to get round to modifying my stove to be able to control the air going in as even decent wood burns so quickly.

Yeah that's what puts me off using pallets as I have been told they burn too quick, had another burn today using some of the free timber I got whilst getting the 2a rolling chassis ready for putting out side and covered up for when I do the wheel bearings on the 90 next week and noticed heat wise if I kept it stoked up it throws out loads of heat with the door open on the stove, just hope its just as warm in there with a full vehicle in there but will see :D

Definitely a control issue there.

I used to heat the whole house on a Disco full of pallets once a week unless it was a bad winter, so your only looking at 4 to 5 in the boot.

You should be getting heat radiated from the stove itself rather than having to have the door open, which naturally increases the burn rate.  I've been more than impressed by the heat the gas bottle burner chucks out.  Last week when it was -2 outside first thing it was up to a pleasant 15 degrees in the time it took to get a brew and by the time Pop Master had finished I had to open the door as it was an uncomfortable 31 in there.  I've stopped loading it up so much and can get a comfortable 21 while I've been fetteling.

1 hour ago, Igol said:

Definitely a control issue there.

I used to heat the whole house on a Disco full of pallets once a week unless it was a bad winter, so your only looking at 4 to 5 in the boot.

You should be getting heat radiated from the stove itself rather than having to have the door open, which naturally increases the burn rate.  I've been more than impressed by the heat the gas bottle burner chucks out.  Last week when it was -2 outside first thing it was up to a pleasant 15 degrees in the time it took to get a brew and by the time Pop Master had finished I had to open the door as it was an uncomfortable 31 in there.  I've stopped loading it up so much and can get a comfortable 21 while I've been fetteling.

Yeah tbh I am off for a week next week and once I have done a couple of jobs on the 90 for its M.O.T. we will start work on insulating the wall where the stove is aswell as insulate where the wood is being stored in the garage next to the stove which should throw more heat out :)

What Igol says - stoves are designed to radiate heat, opening the door at best makes them burn too fast and waste most of the heat up the flue. More likely it'll mess up the air flow through the stove and it won't actually burn as well as it does with the door closed (as well as still wasting most of the heat up the flue) - that's certainly the case with ours.

One of the nice things with a decent stove is that it's controllable and you can get the most out of even relatively poor firewood - bits of pallet aren't anywhere near as good as decent hardwood, but I find they're perfectly okay. You have to stoke the fire a bit more often, but not so much it's a PITA. Not what I'd choose to burn, but if I happen to have some going free I use them!

You need to factor in just how tight I am  ;) A weekly trip to the local industrial estate with free fuel as a result and you often got some pretty substancial packing thrown in the skips.  Quarterly gas bill was about 30 quid as it only did the hot taps and cooker.

My wood store (wheely bin) is currently empty so I need to go for a bit of a recce when I m on nights this week.

Hello

Please also bare in mind  creeping vapours ie petrol/gas they are drawn straight to the heat source ie open flame with possible lethal  results.It dead easy to forget this, working on fuel system or just pouring stuff even spraying stuff

Put a sheet of metal behind flue on the wall with a gap btween wall this way allows  it to warm and the heat it absorbs to rise from the front and back of metal distributing heat better

wish i could get in my garage lol

• Like 1

15 hours ago, 01gue5t said:

Hello

Please also bare in mind  creeping vapours ie petrol/gas they are drawn straight to the heat source ie open flame with possible lethal  results.

yes.. and the toxic effects are not always known by users, its worth being very careful when using brake cleaner near heat sources such as this and welding

Well as I have been working on the 90 all week I have exhausted all the free timber I was given so had a quick walk to Asda for some logs and I noticed straight away with using the logs the stove got hotter so when the 90 is back on the road I will go and get a bag full of kiln dried logs so I can use them straight away and see how they go