Thinking of buying a Freelander

Freebird

Hi all, been having a look around your forum and can see if I get a Freelander, this will be a great place for advice! I wonder if I can ask a few questions first....

What would you say are the real running costs of a year 2000 TD4? A friend who has one says it's the same road tax as my 1.9D van, tyres for the standard wheels (not alloys) can be had for as little as £40-50 and he averages 40-44mpg. Not sure how I'd be for insurance though (female, over 25, living in rural Scotland, no prev claims), most insurance companies try to whack the price up for my old van, saying it is because of the 'large' engine size.

I also hear that I'm going to have to budget for a new clutch and maybe the transfer box, perhaps you can enlighten me with cost and likelihood for that?

Last one....the TD4 seems to get all the best reviews from what I've read on here and elsewhere, but is there any other model to look for (gotta be diesel), my budget is going to have to be under £3000.

Many thanks in advance,

Freebird.