Help needed buying a Freelander

byrne13

Firstly id just like to say any help would be very much appreciated!!

Ok so, Basically I've been looking at getting a freelander for a few weeks and after reading reviews elsewhere I was looking at getting a td4, but I've just read a few posts on here and I might have changed my mind and think I'm now going to go for the 1.8. I don't do much off road except for a pretty flat beach. Im a kitesurfer which is why I'm attracted to the Freelander, spacious and looks good, I won't be doing many miles maybe 2000 a year.

I want a 3 door and to spend somewhere around 1000 for a 1.8 or 2000 for a td4 Im wondering if I could lend some of the forums expertise. Im a complete idiot with cars this will be my 3rd car others being small corsa and a fiesta. insurance has finally allowed to get me something a bit more my style. :)

My questions are;

1) what should I look out for on the car with regards to problems when I'm buying. head gasket seems to be a big issue, what else? also how would I be able to tell if its been sorted already? Just look on the service history?

2) what sort of milage would be too much on the 1.8 engine? initially 100,000 seemed way too much for a petrol engine but Ideally id like it to last 3 years at least, so maybe another 10,000 without any major issues. would 100,000 be ok what milage do they typically completely die at?

3) Any big red flags to look for?

4) Anything I might have missed that you would know that could help me??

Big thank you for anyone who takes the time to help me out here.

Cheers