205/16 to 245/70/R16/C

Thys

:i-m_so_happy: I got my hands on a set of Dunlop SP Track Grips. The only query I had was my steel rim width. My Dueler AT's are 205/16's. The Dunlops are 245/70/R16C's. I checked the technical LR specifications for my Discovery 1 300 Tdi, and the data sheet indicated 6½J. The Dunlop data sheet for the specific tire indicated a minimum of 7J. Took the Disco to my local tire dealer and we measured 7½, so off with the 205 Duelers and on goes the 245/70 Dunlops. My calculations indicated a 2% difference in speed, so based on the legal 10% allowance I was satisfied.

I took the Disco on a 380 km trip, which included high way, secondary and 4x4 tracks. All I can say at this point in time is a big WOW. The ride is smoother, TC noise less, and she looks great with those 245's. I was warned that this specific Dunlop gives less kms than the Duelers, but as I got them as a "present", who cares.

I did one other thing, and that was to raise the pressures to 2.0 at front and 2.7 at the back, as I was warned that the vehicle will tend to "wallow" if the 205/16 pressures are maintained, well, no "wallowing" yet, will wait and see what happens if I go sand driving with the Dunlops slightly deflated.