Center console failure on my 2005 Range Rover Vogue

clarky

I share with you the detail of the third electrical fault on my RR which I summarised for LR in the attached mail, to which I never got a repsonse

Initially, the fault only when turning the ignition on, but latterly it would sometimes fail with the engine running when the vehicle stationary

I would get a beep and a fault message on the display 'Air Susp inactive'

The resultant faults were:

Air suspension defaulted to standard ride height (so an issue if you needed to travel on the motorways)

No heat/vent/airco

No drive indication

The vehicle was driveable in certain conditions

The fault would sometimes clear itself with the turning off and on of the ignition, other times it would last for days

The BeCM Module was replaced under warranty as that had already been replaced at my cost for the wiper failure fault

The fault was not cured so a section of wiring harness was replaced

That did not cure the fault either

I had taken the vehicle in to the local dealership Hillendale with the fault on a number of times but they could not solve the problem

Eventually the technician found a temporary fix to keep me going that involved powering the front passenger seat fully forward so that you could lift a flap in the floor to reveal the BeCM unit, and then unplugging the LH white multiplug in the back of the module (this caused a warning bleep, but cleared the fault). I did this for weeks whilst at the same time creating a deatiled log of the failures and trying to look for a pattern or some other important clue

After some time I linked the fault to the opening and shutting of the vehicle tailgate, but that was dismissed by the dealership as the centre console power was in no way connected to the tailgate

However, the fault persisted and the links with the tailgate became stronger

On one occasion I picked the vehicle up from the dealership after a weeks investigation but no fault found, drove home (less than a mile) pulled into the driveway, jumped out opened the tailgate to put some boxes into the boot, closed the tailgate, jumped back into the vehicle to find the fault was on!

On another occasion I pulled up with the engine running to give a neighbour a tow up the lane in deep snow, I opened the tailgate attached the tow rope, closed the tailgate and jumped back in the vehicle to find the fault on

On another occasion I backed up to my Horse box jumped out, coupled up, jumped back in and the fault was on

and so it went on...................................

I took the vehicle back to the local dealership emphasising the link to the tailgate

That time they took me seriously and found an intermittent shorting fault on one of the upper tailgate courtesy lights, which instead of blowing a fuse shut down part of the BeCM module causing the 'center console' power failure

The fault condition was clear and definite and the technican could replicate it at will

At the moment I'm enjoying trouble free motoring in Solihull's finest

Fingers crossed

Clarky

Summary of electrical faults on RR Vogue M50 PGC.pdf