Gearbox Blues

Marten

Ho Hum! 92 Disco is well into a mid-life refit and decided to eliminate the dreaded output shaft spline problem by fitting a much later 380 box with modified shaft and matching this to a nice new transfer box gear cluster.

88K miles replacement gearbox was a bargain because 5th gear extension housing is missing part of a flange lug. The one that gets broken when you don't lower the box carefully!

No problem! Have acquired replacement "as new" extension housing and will just swop them over!

Problem! The output shaft oil seal collar has to come off first and it's a very tight fit! Landrover special tool(s) for the job will cost nearly £200.

Has anyone found a way to pull off the collar without damaging the geartrain within the main box? Plan is to use a bearing seperator and long legged puller but I'm wondering if this combination has the "bottle".

Should be ok if the puller can pull the separator symmetrical (i.e I don't think a 3 legged puller will work).

See what I used here: http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=13943&view=findpost&p=146645

Many thanks! I plan to use exactly the same tools as your picture shows, so will go ahead with confidence!