300tdi: Greasing prop shaft

Tone_F

Evening all, I've serviced my '96 300tdi Disco today and one of the tasks I wanted to do (as the previous owner neglected her and she hasn't had a service in 20k miles) was to grease the prop shaft. I obtained some of the Lithium grease etc and proceeded to pump in to the rear section first. The rubber boot/gaiter was expanding as I did so as it had crept away from what I think is the UJ. The tiniest squirt of grease showed itself from underneath the rubber, I'd put in around 10 pumps by that point. Does anyone have any comments as to whether or not I've actually done something badly needed or have I set it on the road to failure? Incidentally, for the front section of prop shaft, the nipple was at a more difficult angle to attack and I was lucky to get a couple of squirts which actually went in so not as thorough a job. I noted that again, the rubber appeared to have crept away from the UJ- or is this how it's meant to be? Lot's of questions so sorry to be a pain, I only bought her last week after getting rid of an almost identical model a couple of years ago in favour of a td5 which I sold on due to not getting on with the auto gearbox...cheers, Tony.