Damn Disco!

JB750

Hi all, hope your XMAS went OK (can't be worse than mine is at this moment in time )

I have had major issues over the past year (don't ask why so long) with our 300TDi Auto Disco. The basic fault was very rough running and tons of white smoke (unburnt diesel) out of the tail pipe, enough to get me instantly arrested if I were to take it on the road

Done loads of stuff to try and cure it and in the end gave up chucking money at it and decided to change from the EDC system to a normal a cable controlled throttle Injector Pump. Spent the last couple of days replacing the EDC pump with a non-EDC one along with the injectors and feed pipes.

I need to extend the boost pipe from the turbo take-off to make it reach the IP but this will not give me the issue I have at present (if I am correct).

I eventually got the engine to start, I have no throttle cable at the minute as I have got to get one but I wanted to see if the original fault had been sorted (no advance of the IP basically so fueling at the wrong time).

The other thing I am missing is something that should fit into the top threaded hole of the pressure compensator in the top of the IP. There are 3 connections as you look at it from the rear of the pump:

Bottom one goes from the leak-off on #1 injector, middle one is the connection that will go to the take-off on the turbo, and the one at the top which at the minute has nothing in the threaded hole. I do not know what should fit in there so am not sure if it is causing my issue.

The problem I have is that although I got the engine to start after much turning (no fuel in lines so took a little while) the engine started fine but then the revs rose and kept on until they hit the max with the engine revving it's ar$e of My first thought was the turbo feeding oil into the inlet and I wa waiting for the engine to destroy itself!! But I disconnected the lead I had runnig from the battery to the stop solenoid, (just a temp measure until I can find the right cable in the loom), and thankfully about 5 seconds or so the engine stopped. It still turns over OK but I am not going to try and start it again until I get some more info. I am assuming it is not the turbo causing the engine to run away as it stopped shortly after taking off the stop solenoid feed wire.

I would really appreciate any help or advice here, either on a possible cause, or what should be connected to the top hole on the compensator on the top of the IP.

Thanks in advance.

John

Can you post some pictures as difficult to imagine what hole you mean?

Here you go:

http://forums.lr4x4.com/uploads/1293385451/gallery_22202_1127_94285.jpg

I think the middle one is wrong (should be a breather apparently?)

Top one for the boost connection.

As an add-on to the thread, I took all the intercooler pipes etc off the turbo today, and there was a good smearing of black oily stuff in the pipe (especially at the turbo end) and when I checked the turbo bearings I detected a small amount of play in the shaft so I am now guessing that it may have been turbo oil after all that caused the running on and the bearings are probably about to give up the ghost. I guess if it is, I was just lucky that there wasn't too much oil in there to feed the combustion.

Thoughts please?

JB

To solve this, you need to figure out if the engine is burning fuel:) or its own oil:( . The hard part is identifying a safe way of doing so.

Next time when you fire it up, leave the intercooler outlet hose off, 2 reasomns for doing this:

1: it means to oil from turbo is entering the inlet manifold

2: It also gives you a nice place to suffocate the engine if its runs away again and removing the 12v doesnt kill it.

That sounds like a plan, but do you think I will have done any damage on the first try, and also, will it do any if I try again now?

I know the questions are a bit 'wooly' but I really don't want to see another version of that video on you tube of the Defender going doolally on it's sump oil :o

I have already disconnected the pipes from the turbo to the inter-cooler, and will try as you suggested with the short hose from the intercooler to the inlet manifold removed too. I assume, if there is oil getting past the seals in the turbo that I will see it coming out of the turbo where it would normally connect to the long pipe to the inter-cooler?

Thanks,

John