TLC for my old girl

Hello chaps,

I've had my 1986 Ninety 2.5TD since she was 8 yrs old - so 16yrs now. It was my only transport for a while but for the last few years its sat in the garage slowly looking like its at the bottom of the sea :-(

So I've started what I've promised myself I'd do for years and shes up on the ramps and I'm in the process of cleaning the chassis for painting.

I did my TVR chassis 2 winters ago so the Landy will get the same POR15 treatment. Then I'll dinitrol inside.

Now a few questions;

I've found rust on the underside of the chassis between the rear crossmember and the tie-down loop. Its on the underside only and is 2 holes big enough to get my thumb into, one either side of the tie down ferule

Is it OK to plate this with 2-3mm plate?

As I've been out of the scene for a while I don't know what to replace the Black Diamond shocks with. They must have been on 10yrs now and the bodies look awful. So whats the latest thing for a standard truck because I don't want to lift it.

Same with springs too - I might as well while I have the time now.

Any advice much appreciated chaps. I apologise for the numpty questions and hopefully there won't be too many more.

Cheers

IanB

Ian,

In answer to your question regarding plating the chassis 3mm plate will do just fine.

When it comes to suspension there are so many variables, if you aren't doing serious off roading or heavy loads / towing and were happy with the way your truck handled then just replace like for like, if you feel the need to upgrade you will have to give the reasons why or search the numerous posts regarding suspension.

HTH's

Mick.