td5 Discovery heater matrix

pjs2409

Hi - I have just acquired a 2001 GS with climate control but have discovered that the drivers footwell is always warm due to the proximity of the heater matrix which is always hot. Is it correct that the matrix is directly plumbed into the engines hot water and there is no control over how much hot water enters the matrix (like other MG/Rovers I have owned)? (It seems wasteful and means the engine warms up slower)

From what I can gather, cabin temperature is controlled by flaps directing air from one source or another?

When I have removed the center console, I can see & feel part of the matrix from the drivers side as I seem to be missing a piece of plastic ducting directing air into the footwell(as on the passenger side). Surely this isn't all between the matrix and the cabin - it won't insulate the matrix very much and means the aircon has to work overtime just to negate the radiating heat from the matrix. (Not to mention electronic components behind dash really heating up)

As autumn and winter are on their way, I guess I won't be complaining for long! I would like to try and get some solution in place before next spring & summer though! Any ideas anyone?