Gearbox Blues

Marten

Ho Hum! Acquired a 1995 R380 gearbox "about 90K miles run", via a (trusted) third party, as part of the solution to my early 200 TDi Disco 1 LT box output spline/transfer box input gear erosion. After 2K miles I have a persistant low whine from the R380 box, more pronounced on over-run in the higher gears. Changed the (still bright and new looking) oil today and found more very fine debris clinging to the drain plug magnet than I would have liked. I certainly have a problem, but the box is otherwise fine and changes gear without a murmer. Fished around in the bottom of the box via the drain aperture and hooked out a 60deg arc section of a dark blue nylon ring. About 20mm inside diameter, 4mm wide, with inner edges slightly rebated and a shallow, raised outer collar. looks like a spacer or locating ring, but can't see an obvious match on the parts CD Rom. Has anyone stripped a box lately and perhaps able to recognise the part. Cheers!

Update. Seems things may not be as desperate as I had feared. Discussion with a professional re-builder of R380 boxes reveals that there are no similar plastic/nylon parts in the box other than a bush associated with the selector mechanism. Whine is probably a failing bearing, so a gearbox strip is in the offing, but no panic!