Cross member advice Tdi300

monkeyb0y

Hi All,

MOT day today, - failed on one, drop link (no probs), headlight alignment offside (actually its because the damper is going soft and drivers side is sagging - i know i can tell)...) easy to adjust to make Mr MOT happy, back box corroded (no prob 30 quid)....oh and "suspension component corroded"....what the hell - its a body mounting...still a fail but not really suspension..

Its the rear crossmember hes on about.

anyway, ive done everything bar the boot floor and xmember - welding that is..I need to ask a specific question hence why trawling back hasnt yet yeilded any answers on this..

I want to use heavier box section and fab my own heavier mountings...

I know the chassis is close at the back to the stock hieght body -

1) will it clear sufficiently to use box and not reshape to the contour of the chassis like the original xmember?

2) if not to 1), can i lift it using spacers on body to chassis to achieve a decent height to use box?.

any other info would be appreciated...

like places to get box and the size etc...

do the wings rear quarters have to come off or can they be prised away enough for a decent job?

If i had done this job last year when i wanted to....id have been faced with under £100 including test for another 12months MOT.

thanks

Rich