Help me - aka smokey 300tdi edc auto

symeon

Im at the end of my tether...

I should say an introduction really, as Ive been lurking on here on and off for some time now, but I really need some help, at least insight as to what on earth could be happening to my disco, so Ill leave an introduction post to another day.

I have a 98 S Japanese re-patriated D1, 300tdi EDC automatic, which all of a sudden just before christmas decided to take up smoking, alot!

It had been intermittent before that, and then for a little while only on idle, at lights etc, then unexpectedly one evening decided to produce huge clouds of whitish smoke (it was dark at the time, and probably was doing it for a few minutes before I noticed as I only saw it when I hit a lit stretch of road), so much so other cars had to virtually stop while the smoke cleared.

Symptoms:

Vast quantities of whitish smoke, moreso at higher revs, and worse a few minutes after starting. Has been blueish on occasion, but mostly white, and from the smell, its diesel.

Low power, especially on hills

What has been done/checked:

Head gasket & stem seals - gasket wasnt gone, but didnt look too great

ran 2 short lines straight from fresh can of fuel to engine to rule out contaminants etc

No noticeable loss of coolant

No noticeable loss of oil

no back pressure - there is actually some slight suction at the oil filler cap, nothign significant.

when head was off there was no sign of any damage to the bores, head didnt appear warped

air filter replaced

Fuel filter replaced

all air pipes checked, lower intercooler pipe rubber bits replaced as perished

all turbo to engine jubilee clips replaced

intercooler flushed

no noticeable oil contamination in intercooler or air intake, other than 16 years of general buildup (no wet oil)

Egr blanked, but existing metal pipe left as rubber top hose from kit was collapsing (was on previous disco)

Timing slightly advanced, as was a sod to start most days, and had been since getting it 2 years ago

Currently in the process of trying a different turbo, as although no traces of wet oil in airside, I considered the possibility of oil going down the exhaust, but existing exhaust mount nuts knackered so they need to come off first.

If its not the turbo, Im at a loss as to what it could be, without resorting to electrical problems (ecu, sensors etc).

I hope someone can help me

Thanks

Simon

Sorry to be the bearer of bad tidings, but this sounds awfully similar to what happened to ours a couple of years ago. I got the man with the computer in to fault find and it came back with a faulty sensor in the top of the bell housing (used in conjunction with the stupidly expensive injector in #4 pot). I spent 11hrs along with a more knowledgeable chap separating the engine/gearbox because the sensor actually broke off in the casing when trying to remove it. When we eventually got it all back together, started her up and hey presto! No change!!! :angry2::angry2:

Following much more 'try this and try that', including another injector pump, another stupidly expensive injector and a few other oddities, I gave up and decided to replace the EDC system. I replaced the injector pump with a non-EDC one, layed another throttle cable from the pedal to the injector pump (making the fly-by-wire throttle inactive). I removed the ECU and EDC sensors on the intake side.

After sorting out all this, the truck started the easiest it had since we got it, almost zero smoke from the exhaust (pretty impressive for a Disco 1! :) ). From that time on she had always ran sweet as a nut. I say 'had' because I am now mid-engine removal/refit to sort out a knackered core plug at the rear of the block.

Fingers crossed that your issue isn't quite so dramatic, but it certainly sounds ominous.

JB

Thanks for the reply.

I had a feeling this was coming.

Not looking forward to doing the actual swap, even though I'd been considering it anyway.

Although having a whole spare disco out the back is going to come in handy for this. Knew there was a reason I hadn't scrapped it yet.

Again, thanks.

Simon

Well, finally got the turbo off the 'working' disco today, after much shouting, grinding, and swearing that is as the nuts had rounded off.

Lets just say, Im surprised its lasted this long, as not only is there oil dumping down the exhaust side as I suspected, but the manifold branches are cracked severely.

There is hardly any play in the impeller though, hence the reason Id not considered the turbo initially, as there was very little oil on the air side.

Just when you think you've heard of everything when it comes to land rovers, something else comes along.

Simon

One option I was given was the replacement of the ECU or throttle sender, but as both are ridiculously expensive and there is no guarantee they are 100% OK unless you buy new, I decided on the latter route.

It was a good while ago, but if there is any info you need that I can help with just let me know. I can always take a look at ours to see what runs where.

Hope you get it sorted, and keep us informed ;)

Cheers.

One thing I could do with is a solution for the kickdown cable after swapping to the standard pump, as the pieces needed are rarer than number 4 injector apparently.

But so far so good.

I finished the turbo swap today, and all appears good.

But of an 'oh no' moment when I went for a drive and a whole load of smoke came out again, but think it was just some residue being burnt off in the exhaust.

Just need a new coolant hose now (been rubbing on the AFM) and all should be good...

..should be.

Simon

I spoke too soon.

I have yet to get the new coolant hose, my local independant was shut early when I went to get it, and now my oil pressure sensor isnt working.

I seem to have some oil pressure at least, as there was a slight leak on the feed pipe to the turbo, but I dont have any light at all, never mind whilst running.

When I put a meter on the sensor I got 0.2v, regardless of running or not.

My temperature gauge also doesnt appear to work, though I might not have taken it for a long enough run, but the sensor works, as Ive tested that too.

Just not knowing whether I have a good enough oil pressure or not Im reluctant to take it out anywhere at the moment.

Simon