quick question for gearbox gurus...

Lt77, with lt230....... is there supposed to be a nut holding the gear on the output shaft in the transfer box?...... also, I'm assuming it's not good that I have maybe 5degrees of rotational play between shaft and gear........ can't get the gear out, the idler gear is in the way, is this due to it being a 1.2 ratio????

Thanks in advance, although I'm sure it's gonna cost me loads.... everything seems to!

Ron

Yes, a nut is not required or fitted on the end of the mainshaft from the factory.

Not familiar with the 1.2 so can't comment on not being able to withdraw the gear. Can you not rotate the gears as you remove so the helical teeth line up as it is withdrawn?

Regards, Diff.

From Ashcroft site:

On a 1.667 or a 1.410 removal of the gear is simple, it just slides out; on a 1.222 it in necessary to rotate the intermediate gear to a position where the teeth on the middle and rear gears are in line and allow the input gear to slide through.

Regards,

Diff.