'Light crunch' when selecting low ratio mode on P38 auto

chrisstevenson

Hi,

Just picked up a P38 auto, diesel, very nice, but like an idiot when test driving it I selected the low ratio box and then went to put it in reverse whilst the warning beep was being emitted, as soon as I heard the resulting crunch I put it back in neutral. Now my qustion is this... am I likely to have done any serious damage to the box? Having now read the owners manual it does warn that you could 'crunch the gears' on a manual if you force it into gear before the car is ready for low ratio mode, so I guess a little crunching of gears is expected on the rare occasion? Hate to think I've just knocked 50,000 miles off the box already!

youre not likely to have done any real damage.

in terms of shifting between high and low, just throw the lever across and wait till the beeps stop. on the last beep you can hear the gears engage with a clunk/click sound. then you can select a forward or reverse gear.

mine throws a wobbler if you are moving or try to select a gear too quickly by beeping and showing messages on the display.

Woudn't worry about it unless its crunching time after time . . . which by the sounds of it, it isnt'

basically yeah, its a servo motor thingie. so it pays to change between HIGH and LOW on a periodic basis to make sure it stays working.

( actually, the Disco 3 does a full swing with the transfer box when you switch it off specifically to address the issue of the motor seizing from lack of use . . . . anyway i digress )

this should be enough info:

tfrbox.jpg

tfrbox1.jpg

actually, the Disco 3 does a full swing with the transfer box when you switch it off specifically to address the issue of the motor seizing from lack of use . . . . anyway i digress

How long before someone parks one up and finds it in Low when they get back?

Andy