Sticking starter motor

jmattley

The starter motor solenoid I think, is sticking on my 200tdi, ever since it's been cold its been sticking and I have to hold the leave the starter running for about 10 seconds or more till the solenoid frees and engages the flywheel. I assumed it was sticking due to the cold, but it was about 6 degrees C here in Sheffield today so nowhere near freezing. Any ideas at what it could be chaps?

Cheers!!

..... and I have to hold the leave the starter running for about 10 seconds or more till the solenoid frees and engages the flywheel. ....

Please rephrase what I quoted, I don't think I understand.

You turn the key to START position and then what happens?

Oh right yeah, trying to type too fast haha. Right, basically, when I turn the key to start, the starter motor runs but it doesn't engage the flywheel, so the solenoid seems to be sticking. If I hold the key in this position (so the starter motor is running) for about 10-15 seconds the solenoid eventually engages. It's not that cold anymore but it's still doing it. Any ideas?

Cheers.

When you hear the starter spinning but without engaging you should turn it off as fast as you can. Don't let it spin and wait for it to engage. This damages the ring gear on the engine's flywheel (wear and possibly broken teeth), which is harder and more expensive to replace.

Back up the key and try again. If no luck, try again.

If it's constantly spinning without engaging don't try to start it no more (push start it if you need to move on). Solve the issue a.s.a.p.

Most likely it's the bendix at fault. You might get away (for a while) with taking the starter out and give the bendix a good clean if the bits are not too worn.

Or you may consider a general overhaul or a new starter if you need a dependable vehicle.