steering issue - p38a pump on Classic 4-bolt box

Belgian_Dude

hi guys,

I need advice ...

I recently built a 4.6L engine, and swapped it into my Classic.

Unfortunately, I've been unable to drive it for more than about 50 miles because of power assisted steering failure.

Setup is pretty simple, and I believe has been built before with success:

-Thor 4.6 block & ancillaries (meaning ~2000 ZF pump with its standard pulley and standard drive belt layout) - (rover part QVB101300, ZF part 7613 955 106)

-standard Range Classic 4-bolt steering box, was new a couple of years ago and worked flawlessly with the 3.5 and its pump

-When first started up and steered lock to lock, it had good PAS

-ran for 20' (cam break-in), still got PAS

-drove for +-30 minutes, found a leak in the high pressure hose => fixed it by tightening the fitting on the steering box => a few miles later, PAS started playing up. At first, still had PAS above say 1500-2k RPM, then nothing anymore.

-swapped the pump, PAS OK again for about 30 minutes, then gradually disappearing

-checked and changed: fluid reservoir, inlet hose, outlet hose. whilst swapping out stuff, I would get perfect PAS which would disappear after less than a mile (two turns actually)

-tried bleeding it by means of the bleed screw, no air coming out, fluid right away. Turned it lock-to-lock maybe 100 times, no change. Sometimes, revving the engine gets me PAS, sometimes it doesn't.

-all this time, fluid level was never allowed to drop too low, and fluid never showed excessive heating. Pump doesn't seem to make much noise, however I'm not getting the usual "I'm working hard"-noise when holding lock either ...

Obviously, the next step would be to swap the steering box. However, the unit that's in there is definitely the best I have - bought new less than 5 years ago, + let's not down-play how ****ty of a job that swap is!!

I'm rather looking for an explanation, as I can make heads nor tail from these symptoms ....

1) does the steering box have an ajustable over-pressure valve which could be opening too early, given the slightly higher operating pressure of the P38a pump?

2) who's got this pump running a Classic 'box successfully?

3) how do I fix this so I can go drive around my new block and blow up some part of the driveline using all the new Torques :P ??

attached pic for no reason.

thx,

Quentin

post-13599-0-09437100-1416210605_thumb.jpg