P38 Water leak

Henry_b

Hello Gents! 

My old P38 has an issue with water coming into the interior and wetting the front corners of the headliner! 

Though not the centre above the rear view mirror, just the corners!! 

I've removed the upper windscreen trim and checked the bond between the screen and the car it seems fine I even wetted it with a hose and no water came in... 

any ideas? 

Sunroof seal? 

Some say its main purpose is wind noise reduction however wouldn't it be there to slow the rate of water down so the sunroof drains aren't overwhelmed?  

Or am i barking up the wrong tree? 

Cheers 

H

I had this issue. Only on the passenger side. I thought it would be the sunroof drains myself, but it turned out to be the windscreen seal for me. It looked fine, but with a bit of prodding it's become clear that almost the whole left side of the windscreen has become unbonded. 

The other thing I found, when investigating the sunroof, was that water gets into the sunroof seal, makes its way into the space between the glass and the sunroof frame, and corrodes it like mad. But I do believe you're right, that the sunroof seal will keep some water out as well as wind noise.

Last thought. There's supposed to be a place, underneath the front to rear roof trims, but near the front, where the sealant in the roof welds can open and cause a hole. I've only ever found one pic of this on the web. Haven't got it to hand just now, but if it helps I could post it later. I think you'd need to pull those trims off to find it.

Edit - meant to say that, if you pull the inner seal off around the roof lining at the sunroof, you migh be able to peek in and see if there's anything wrong with the front drains. Could it just be that the grommets at the bottom are blocked, and water is backing up along the pipes?

Edited by Northwards
  • Like 1

Thanks.. 

I gave the windscreen a good looking over and there was no obvious un - bonding taking place I also checked for the hole that can appear in the seam and it wasn't there, however the seam sealant itself looked to be cracking, so maybe it could be getting in there? 

Being that it does it both sides getting wet I was leaning towards sunroof. 

H

Edited by Henry_b