LT95 and Fairey O/D

RRCOz

Hi,, I have an LT95 ('78 RR), that I was about to fit an O/D unit on, but when I removed the rear cover of the transfer box, the rear of the main shaft is threaded, :unsure: unlike my previous RR's which had the standard shaft with 'c' clip, :) this has a large (huge) nut/washer assembly holding the drive gear to the shaft. any information on this type of shaft appreciated......cheerz....RRCOz :huh:

Very interesting! I have overhauled a zillion LT95's and never come across anything like that before.

Perhaps it was a homegrown modification to repair the mainshaft when the rear circlip groove had flogged out. Is your gearbox/transfercase a one piece casting?Does your shaft still have the tail bearing journal ? I believe the early FC 101 prototypes had LT95 transmissions with separate castings for gearbox/ transfercase. Maybe they used a thread instead of a circlip to retain the mainshaft gear.I am afraid you will have to replace the mainshaft at any rate.

Bill.

Very interesting! I have overhauled a zillion LT95's and never come across anything like that before.

Perhaps it was a homegrown modification to repair the mainshaft when the rear circlip groove had flogged out. Is your gearbox/transfercase a one piece casting?Does your shaft still have the tail bearing journal ? I believe the early FC 101 prototypes had LT95 transmissions with separate castings for gearbox/ transfercase. Maybe they used a thread instead of a circlip to retain the mainshaft gear.I am afraid you will have to replace the mainshaft at any rate.

Bill.

here are some photos of the issue, it does not appear to have been re-man'd, as the shaft size appears larger than the original, the threaded section I mean, the casing is all one piece, the only thoughts are that this was re-built using some lt95a internals, this vehicle came off a property in far west queensland and does have some other re-work, so perhaps someone was skilled enough to produce a new mainshaft, bearing is still captured in the end-plate and looks like a standard setup

post-2707-1175915536_thumb.jpg

post-2707-1175915558_thumb.jpg

post-2707-1175915575_thumb.jpg