ARB Air leak

Petergg

Hi,

My front ARB was leaking very bad air was coming out of breather at a high rate, so took it out and thought I would connect the air line back on to it and see if I could see where the leak was. But it did not leak once out of axle, any idea's please?

Peter

Hi,

My front ARB was leaking very bad air was coming out of breather at a high rate, so took it out and thought I would connect the air line back on to it and see if I could see where the leak was. But it did not leak once out of axle, any idea's please?

Peter

It appears that the problem was with the bulkhead fitting and when you reconnected the fitting with the diff removed you somehow fixed the leak. Or the ''o'' rings on the rotary air connection are worn and leaking when the carrier is turned to a particular position. Try rotating the crownwheel a bit at a time with the air connected to check if the leak starts again. If the carrier bearings are slack, allowing the carrier to move side to side a little this will also cause the o rings to leak.There was a thread on the Pirate forum where some members living in the colder snowbelt regions were experiencing ''O'' ring leaks due to shrinkage.

If the diffs were operated long enough to warm up a little the leaks would stop.

Bill.

It appears that the problem was with the bulkhead fitting and when you reconnected the fitting with the diff removed you somehow fixed the leak. Or the ''o'' rings on the rotary air connection are worn and leaking when the carrier is turned to a particular position. Try rotating the crownwheel a bit at a time with the air connected to check if the leak starts again. If the carrier bearings are slack, allowing the carrier to move side to side a little this will also cause the o rings to leak.There was a thread on the Pirate forum where some members living in the colder snowbelt regions were experiencing ''O'' ring leaks due to shrinkage.

If the diffs were operated long enough to warm up a little the leaks would stop.

Bill.

Thanks BVS, it had new seals etc. only a few weeks ago, so will check it out more inc bulk head fitting and refit with fingers crossed.

Peter

Tried it again, and is leaking around the back of bit with pipe fitted to it. I should stick to Jac mac's.

Peter

Very difficult to get replacement bits for JacMacs because they keep changing the design and dont keep bits for previous models. I have 5 year old Jacmac Hilux difflocks that I remachined to fit Rover diffs. and the locking side gear together with locking dog ring have been on the obsolete no longer available list for 4 years.

Bill.