Engine/chassis numbers

Morning all,

Going to look at a 90 for a friend tonight, I think it's a 200TDi but the ad just says 2.5 turbo diesel, it's on a K reg (92) and does have TDi on the wings so very likely to be poor advertising, but just to be sure does anybody know what the engine number is likely to start with if it is a 200? Or an obvious way of telling the engine from a 2.5 TD?

Many Thanks

SPT

Morning all,

Going to look at a 90 for a friend tonight, I think it's a 200TDi but the ad just says 2.5 turbo diesel, it's on a K reg (92) and does have TDi on the wings so very likely to be poor advertising, but just to be sure does anybody know what the engine number is likely to start with if it is a 200? Or an obvious way of telling the engine from a 2.5 TD?

Many Thanks

SPT

11L is the prefix for a Defender spec 200 Tdi. It won't be a TD at that age unless it's a conversion etc - which I very much doubt. Engine number on a TDI is on the horizontal face of the block, at the front on the drivers side (RHD).

The TDI has a ribbed rocker cover, and most obviously an Intercooler. The TD has no intercooler as standard and a very smooth/rounded rocker cover. Both have their turbo mounted high, above the intake manifold.

Check the stamped VIN (offside chassis leg right at the front on the vertical face of the jacking point) matches the VIN plate. Check that all numbers match up with the papers (V5 / MOT etc).

The best advice I can give you is - If in doubt, walk away.

Hope this helps.

Matt

Hi Matt,

That's perfect thanks, yes a conversion was my thinking - like maybe a piston had "made a break for freedom" in his original 200TDi and he'd replaced it with a TD to keep cost down or something - but as I have an Isuzu engine in my 90 I know very little about what the different LR engines look like.

Thanks again

SPT

Hi Matt,

That's perfect thanks, yes a conversion was my thinking - like maybe a piston had "made a break for freedom" in his original 200TDi and he'd replaced it with a TD to keep cost down or something - but as I have an Isuzu engine in my 90 I know very little about what the different LR engines look like.

Thanks again

SPT

No worries.

TD engine is a 19J prefix by the way... ;)

All the best.

Matt