TD5 Performance Chips and County Roof?

Hi Everyone,

Well first off I'm from New Zealand, Over here we a little more deprived of Land rovers that in the UK but we still have a few. Anyway I have a chance to by a 2003 TD5 90 that has been rolled. Replacing the lower panels will not be a problem, however 90 county roofs are very hard to come by over here. Can any one give me a rough idea of what I'd pay for a County roof and rear door in the UK? As I may consider shipping one out.

Also my current vehicle is a 3door 200tdi Disco on 35's, I've done some fiddling and it goes really well, it's basically running with no waste gate and has survived the last 40000km, I'd really like to tweak the TD5 in the 90 if I can. Does anyone know what the story is with TD5 ECUs? Apparently the later ones you can just reprogram the map but the earlier ones require a new chip. Are the ECU's the same apart from that, could I just install a EEPROM in place of the existing ROM and program it as a later one? Are there any websites around that are worth a look?

Cheers

Hi Everyone,

Well first off I'm from New Zealand, Over here we a little more deprived of Land rovers that in the UK but we still have a few. Anyway I have a chance to by a 2003 TD5 90 that has been rolled. Replacing the lower panels will not be a problem, however 90 county roofs are very hard to come by over here. Can any one give me a rough idea of what I'd pay for a County roof and rear door in the UK? As I may consider shipping one out.

Also my current vehicle is a 3door 200tdi Disco on 35's, I've done some fiddling and it goes really well, it's basically running with no waste gate and has survived the last 40000km, I'd really like to tweak the TD5 in the 90 if I can. Does anyone know what the story is with TD5 ECUs? Apparently the later ones you can just reprogram the map but the earlier ones require a new chip. Are the ECU's the same apart from that, could I just install a EEPROM in place of the existing ROM and program it as a later one? Are there any websites around that are worth a look?

Cheers

A very good (late) CSW roof complete is about £450-£600 or there abouts (depends on condition/age), and a back door depends if you want a pre or post 2002 jobbie. An newer type back door fetches £300 - £350, an earlier one can be had for less.

Not quite sure of shipping costs to New Zealand - my mate in Greece was recently quoted £2000 for an early CSW roof and back door including shipping from a company in the UK.... needless to say he isn't buying it from them lol!

Late Td5 ECU's (identified by NNN**** part number) are reflashable, so simply a case of flashing a modified fuel map (and matching variant file) onto it. Obviously you need to have created the modified files first (and the checksum calculation!!) Early ones you do indeed need to change the main chip... but you need a chip with the modified fuel file on it.

There are quite a few internal differences (not just the chip) - and also differences in the way they work/set-up.... in short:

Physically, you can run any ECU on any engine, and although it will run, it would not be ideal and you will get quite a few spurious error messages (among other things). Also, if you try to run a Disco spec ECU on a Defender the temperature gauge will work the wrong way round.

Really....

If you running a post 2002 engine, you want to run a post 2002 Flash Type (NNN****) ECU and if you are running an pre 2002 engine then really you want to run a post 2002 none Flash ECU (MSB****)

However, there are a few exceptions....

Land Rover no longer supply none Flash MSB ECU, and have superseded them with the later NNN type - to coincide with this, they wrote a fuel and variant file suitable for the earlier pre2002 engines. So you can flash a NNN ECU with these files, and it becomes suitable for the earlier type engine.

I can also modify a non-flash ECU, and make it suitable for a none-flash engine - but this isn't really that cost effective to do (easier just to get a second hand NNN ECU)

Obviously, which ever engine and ECU combination you fit, you also need to change the fuel injector codes to suit, and get the engine ECU to 'learn' the Alarm 10AS ECU.

I can offer remapped Td5's ECU's - have a look here: http://www.irbdevelopments.com/remap_td5.html

And you can't run a Td5 without a wastegate unless you use an additional 'box' to remove the boost cut limit - anything much higher than standard boost levels, the ECU will cut fueling until the boost pressure drops. ;)

A little box of tricks is £100....

Ian

Ian,

Thanks for that info, I'm still a bit undecided on the roof thing, I have some early 110 sliding window doors that I might use so I might just shorten a LWB series roof and make it fit the defender windscreen, will see how that goes, spending £2000 on the roof seems a bit silly when I only paid slightly more than that for the 90.

ECUs, well my ECU part number is NNN00120 so it should be programmable, though the rovacom doesn't want to program it, I've read the map and varient out of it but when I go to program it it tells me to confirm that it is a reflashable ECU. The ECU has been quite wet and looks a bit corroded so I'll give it a clean up and see how that goes, it should be ok hopefully. Just out of interest, what would you expect to pay for a second hand reflashable ECU in the UK?

How well to the boost boxes work? I'd thought of building one as there isn't much to them(electronically speaking). Though I don't know how the ECU map works, if the map does not take boost into account when working out fueling apart form a max value for fuel cut out then they should work fine asuming the airflow table will handle the extra airflow at full rpm and full boost. I have a map out of a 90 that goes really well and have compared that to the map out of mine, I've identified the different values in the map and am working form this point, I'm not sure how well this will work and whether I will be able to figure out the map but hopefully I will be able to make a new map for my engine rather than buying someone elses map. You can only try ha!!!

Cheers for your help.