Cummins diesel converion in a Disco I

wolfieroc

I am looking at engine options for a Discovery I, 5 speed and was considering a Cummins 4BT as an option. Has anyone attempted this conversion?

Most Cummins conversions are done in the US, especially the 4BT as they are rare in the UK (where are you from?) The best site is www4btswaps.com not many rovers on there but there is a good build thread on a 4bt into a 90. Also a 6bt into a rover camper (mine) you have to join to view the pics but it is free and quick to do so. What transmission were you planning on using? Do you already have a 4bt? here is a thead with a few pics of a 6bt in my rover http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopi...mp;#entry179573 I didn't want to post them again. here is 1 when it was nearly finnished . Near where I live there is a Cummins workshop, one of the blokes in there is a disco owner and he said he has seen a 6bt in a disco at Billing so a 4 should be easy.

Gaza

Most Cummins conversions are done in the US, especially the 4BT as they are rare in the UK (where are you from?) The best site is www4btswaps.com not many rovers on there but there is a good build thread on a 4bt into a 90. Also a 6bt into a rover camper (mine) you have to join to view the pics but it is free and quick to do so. What transmission were you planning on using? Do you already have a 4bt? here is a thead with a few pics of a 6bt in my rover http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopi...mp;#entry179573 I didn't want to post them again. here is 1 when it was nearly finnished . Near where I live there is a Cummins workshop, one of the blokes in there is a disco owner and he said he has seen a 6bt in a disco at Billing so a 4 should be easy.

Gaza

Gaza, I am in the US and am aware of the site for 4BT's but most of these are geared towards Chevy, Ford etc chassis so I was hoping someone on this forum would. So if a 6BT would fit you are mostly likely correct a 4 should not be too much of a problem assuming correct planning in advance-which is what I am doing. As for a tranny and transfer case I am open to suggestions for sure on that as well.

Gaza, I am in the US and am aware of the site for 4BT's but most of these are geared towards Chevy, Ford etc chassis so I was hoping someone on this forum would. So if a 6BT would fit you are mostly likely correct a 4 should not be too much of a problem assuming correct planning in advance-which is what I am doing. As for a tranny and transfer case I am open to suggestions for sure on that as well.

The D90 and Disco have AFAIK have virtually identical chassis as far as the engine bay is concerned so the engine mounts for Shane's D90 (roverhybrids) would be the same as a disco's providing you use the same rubber mounts.

Gaza

The D90 and Disco have AFAIK have virtually identical chassis as far as the engine bay is concerned so the engine mounts for Shane's D90 (roverhybrids) would be the same as a disco's providing you use the same rubber mounts.

Gaza

Gaza, I did check out the link http://www.roverhybrids.com and the D90 project was quite nice-thanks for the lead.

Gaza

Gaza, I was considering a NV4500 but the issue is the use of the LT230 with that. What about a stock R380 with the LT230 then of course the issue would be the bellhousing/adapter and what about highway? I suspect the highway RPM in a 4BT is lower than the stock 4.0 gas engine.

Gaza, I was considering a NV4500 but the issue is the use of the LT230 with that. What about a stock R380 with the LT230 then of course the issue would be the bellhousing/adapter and what about highway? I suspect the highway RPM in a 4BT is lower than the stock 4.0 gas engine.

My 4BT has over 300ft/lbs and thats standard they can be tuned to 250HP and 500ft/lbs. A R380 has a max TQ rating of 380NM which is about 280ft/lbs I wouldn't reccomend one on a 4BT even if you could get an adapter. You would need a 1.22 LT230. Easiest route would be a 4L80E with a marks adapter to a LT230 or a TH400 if your WB is short as the TH400 is shorter and the adapter is shorter too.

Gaza