Wohooo! Found it!

I've been driving around with only half a dash due to a very irritating rattle somewhere behind it. It's been bugging me for about 6 months now.

Just found the throttle cable resting very gently against the servo unit in the engine bay. 2 cable ties later and hey presto! No rattle! :D It's amazing the difference something like that makes - much more pleasant to drive now.

In fact...while i'm here...maybe someone can shed some light on another one (I have asked for advice on this one before, and have replaced a few things since to no avail...):

It only appears in specific gears at specific RPM under load. I'm not sure what is causing it, but the vibration itself is the front springs/shocks resonating - I strapped a camera to the front axle and you can see the whole axle/springs bouncing up and down (about 50 Hz ish...)

It doesn't occur in diff-lock. Have replaced both front UJ's and then the entire prop shaft. I have also replaced the front springs (removing the 2" lift...) and the shocks are known good ES9000's with good bushes.

My last thought is slight play in the radius arm bushes (poly bushes) allowing the axle to move. I can't detect any play, but my pry bar isn't huge...

I've been driving around with only half a dash due to a very irritating rattle somewhere behind it. It's been bugging me for about 6 months now.

Just found the throttle cable resting very gently against the servo unit in the engine bay. 2 cable ties later and hey presto! No rattle! :D It's amazing the difference something like that makes - much more pleasant to drive now.

In fact...while i'm here...maybe someone can shed some light on another one (I have asked for advice on this one before, and have replaced a few things since to no avail...):

It only appears in specific gears at specific RPM under load. I'm not sure what is causing it, but the vibration itself is the front springs/shocks resonating - I strapped a camera to the front axle and you can see the whole axle/springs bouncing up and down (about 50 Hz ish...)

It doesn't occur in diff-lock. Have replaced both front UJ's and then the entire prop shaft. I have also replaced the front springs (removing the 2" lift...) and the shocks are known good ES9000's with good bushes.

My last thought is slight play in the radius arm bushes (poly bushes) allowing the axle to move. I can't detect any play, but my pry bar isn't huge...

not sure if it is similar, i have an annoying drone at certain rpm's most annoying at almost exactly 3000rpm (which annoyingly is about 70mph) and also not quite so annoying at 2000 rpm, but still makes cabin noise significantly higher than at any other rpm. beyond 3000rpm it goes quieter again. unlike you i've done sod all to find out what is causing it, i'll be interested if you find out anything. my suspicions surround the exhaust as it feels like if comes from between somewhere between the two seats, but i don't really know.