Black Sludge

Mark

I have taken the Head off the new Discovery - a 96 plate 300TDI Auto.

When I rempved the pipes form the intercooler to the intake manifold, the inside is covered in black oily sludge... This dosn't seem entriley right to me.

There are several possible routes for oil to be in the air intake that I can think of

- Crank case pressure is venting into the air intake

- The bearings are knackered on the turbo, and letting oil into the air side

- The previous owner didn't know which hole to stick oil into.... :o

Any suggestions? Should I be looking at getting the turbo rebuilt/replaced? or is this normal, and my paranoya on all things mechanical just kicking in?

Cheers

Mark

Mark,

Does it have an EGR valve. If it does it has probably stuck open allowing exhaust gases to feed into the inlet manifold all the time.

Is the sludge like marmite?

Is so clean it out with degreaser, and the intercooler and blank off/ remove the EGR.

There is a thread by Les about this on here somewhere.

Pete.

editted to add Found the thread by Les clicky.

Pete.

Yep, an EGR valve is present...

Cheers for the link pete, 300's are all new to me!

Marmite is a pretty good description of the link actually, so it looks like the EGR is stuck open.... does blanking it off have any detrimental effects?

ta

Mark

Nope, Mine runs a lot cleaner since I did it. You will need a new intercooler to inlet manifold pipe if you remove the EGR but I think you can get a standard one from a dealer for about £8.

Is the engine EDC? (ie no throttle cable, don't be fooled by the kickdown cable that goes to the injection pump, it will have an airflow meter.)

Mines a 1996 300TDi Auto and I know a bit about it if you get stuck.

Pete.

Pete,

just had a good read through the link you posted. I need to replace a few pipes anyway, so that all makes loads of sense...

The truck is a P reg Jap import, and yes, it is an EDC model. At the moment my plan is to run it a little while and see what happens... I may well be picking your brains though.

Cheers

Mark