BIG sump little sump

66gaza

My 6BT cummins has a 15l sump but I also have a 10l sump that will fit. What are the advantages of each?. 15l is alot of oil but can I go 50% longer between changes? or should I stay at 15l and change at 5K?

Gaza

My 6BT cummins has a 15l sump but I also have a 10l sump that will fit. What are the advantages of each?. 15l is alot of oil but can I go 50% longer between changes? or should I stay at 15l and change at 5K?

Gaza

larger capacity will make cooling easier. i assume the 6bt has an external cooler and no doubt a very large one gong by the size of everything else on the engine, so more oil capacity will allow it to be cooled more easily.

might be best to find out what the applicatoins of the different sumps are to help guide you. may be a bit of difference between static power unit and a dodge ram or may be 2 different ages of dodge ram. i suppose pirate may provide you with more answers from folk who run 6bt's

larger capacity will make cooling easier. i assume the 6bt has an external cooler and no doubt a very large one gong by the size of everything else on the engine, so more oil capacity will allow it to be cooled more easily.

might be best to find out what the applicatoins of the different sumps are to help guide you. may be a bit of difference between static power unit and a dodge ram or may be 2 different ages of dodge ram. i suppose pirate may provide you with more answers from folk who run 6bt's

The B series cummins have an internal oil cooler which dumps heat into the engine cooling water. The 10l sump is from a dodge. I was just after the pros & cons really of the larger sump which is off a commercial 6BT (DAF 55 210Ti) So in general is a bigger sump better.

From my expert technical expertise, i'd say that if it is being fitted into an LR then it is going to leak (although it will probably wait until you have taken it round a mates house with a lovely clean concrete driveway). Therefore the larger sump will be better as you can store the extra oil required in the engine rather than in a 5l container in the back... :ph34r:

Ill get my coat... :P