ABS problems, again - 300TDi '97

stageonesimmo

Anyone ever had a 300Tdi Disco that has the ABS diagnostic socket in a wierd place - i.e. not under the drop-down panel under the steering wheel?

I'm buggered if I can find mine.

I've got an OBD socket with the wire colours in it that should be in the ABS socket, but I cant get the lamp to go into blink mode using it so I need to find the ABS diagnostic socket, but its not where it should be, or anywhere else for that matter! I've checked every possible location for the thing and cant find it.

So, I either have one, its just not not obvious where it is, or I dont and I need to be shorting out some other wires and not the black and black/pink that I'm trying at present.

Any ideas anyone - locations for the ABS socket or the wire colours I need for use with the OBD socket to make the lamp blink the codes out.

I really need the codes cos re-seating the front sensors hasnt worked this time and now the lamp wont go out for more than 20 yards but I need to figure out the fault before I can fix it - and yes, I'm too tight to get it plugged in somewhere............

There is no ABS diagnostic socket starting with 1996 MY. The diagnose is carried through the OBD port (which the ABS ecu is connected to).

Ground pin 15 on the OBD connector, which should correspond to a Light Green Red wire (or connect pin 15 to pin 5 - which is Ground and it's a Black wire) then put the key in the ignition and turn it to position II (the position before cranking the engine).

It should work according to TSB and wiring diagram.

cpix2 - Thanks fella - its done.

But, heres the story:

I disconnected the ABS Warning lamp relay with the ignition off then turned on the ignition and put a split pin between the connections you suggested above and it worked. Now for the weird stuff.. I could only get the code 1: 2 no others I even put the relay back in and drove it so the lamp would come on and re-checked - still 1: 2. That code doesn't exist in any of the lists I've seen so I have no idea what it means.

So, I put the realy back in and drove around the estate a few times aiming at the speed bumps at an angle then noting which wheel made the lamp come on, stop, ign off and start again aiming for the next bump at an angle. Every time it was the passenger rear that made the lamp come on as it hit the speed bump. I took a small amount of play out of that bearing (as in absolutely tiny amount) and hey-presto, all is well!

So what does 1: 2 mean?

How many codes are stored cos I read it about 50 times!

How do I know when the memory is empty?

Still at least its done now and I now know, thanks again cpix2, how to read it in future - just hope next time I get some codes that actually mean something!

EDIT: he, he. didn't see your previos post. Give me a minute to read it ....

Check out this link (look at videos too) to see how it works (when it does :)): http://jaybeale.blogspot.com/2008/03/1997-...-reset-abs.html

Mind that the TSB says: "Faults are stored in the ECU memory".

So I'm thinking that this might not work on non EDC 300 tdi (manual transmission Discovery). Or might not work on 300tdis at all, thinking that LR usually refers to diesel ecu's as ECMs (ECU being for V8s and maybe MPis).

I have a 98 300tdi non EDC but unfortunately I cannot test this too soon as I keep it some 10 miles away from home when I don't need it.

So tell us if it worked or not and also what kind of 300tdi you have, EDC or non-EDC.

Ok, hope this time we will be in sync :)

The codes repeat until you remove the short from the plug, at which point the code gets cleared and off to the next one.

Don't remember of such a code, 1:2. Will look further and see if I can come up with something.

Just to be sure we are in sync please tell me what 300tdi you have, EDC or non EDC :)

No, I can't find anything about a 1:2 code.

Best thing to do is try to clear all the codes first, test drive the vehicle and then read the codes if they appear.

You already cleared the code(s) so keep an eye on the ABS light for a while and fingers crossed.

Forgot one thing: you will know the memory is empty when the ABS light goes off after 5 secs and stays off.

This is normal. The lamp should go on when you switch the ignition on and it should stay on until you reach about 5mph (the wheels need to turn at least 5 mph for the ABS test to finish). You can read this in the owner manual.

Yeah sorry, didnt put that across right - its all working normally, but in blink mode it's keeping repeating the 1:2 code non stop, pull the pin out and re-insert it - same code, I'm up to about 60-65 goes now and its still not given me a different code. I'm just feeding the sprog then I'm off back out to read some more codes to see if I can get to some new ones............

The 4th video in the link I gave you shows how the light blinks when there are no codes stored. It doesn't look like a 1-2 code anyway.

Maybe that 1-2 code means "you can't read the fault codes this way" :)

I'll see how/if it works on my 300tdi in a week or so, although I never had an ABS fault since I have the vehicle.

Maybe someone else would like to try in the meantime.

If the ABS light extinguishes as is supposed to then don't mind what you can/can't read now, just leave it be.