300 Tdi cylinder head operating temperature

Thys

Going through the cylinder head repair, and finally replacement exersize, I needed to protect my expenses. I installed an external temperature meter, mesuring the cylinder head temperature. I've decided on a normal range of 100ºC +/- 10ºC, based on high way driving at 120 km/h, and peak hour crawling for 25 minutes.

post-4154-1208035538_thumb.jpg

What sort of sensor does it use? I have not heard of anyone using such a thing on a water-cooled engine, but I reckon you should keep the temp below 110c at all times, just as with the coolant temp.

Personally I prefer to use EGT, but that does not tell you when your coolant disappears so you need something else like a decent (ie non-LR) coolant temp gauge and a coolant level detector, both preferably with an alarm.

It is easy to spend more time looking at the gauges than on the road, at times ;)

What sort of sensor does it use? I have not heard of anyone using such a thing on a water-cooled engine, but I reckon you should keep the temp below 110c at all times, just as with the coolant temp.

Personally I prefer to use EGT, but that does not tell you when your coolant disappears so you need something else like a decent (ie non-LR) coolant temp gauge and a coolant level detector, both preferably with an alarm.

It is easy to spend more time looking at the gauges than on the road, at times ;)

I used the standard temperature sensor that was supplied with the temperature gauge. The temperature sensor supplied with the Little Black Box EMS IV, includes an adapter that screws into the head. I removed the EMS IV sensor, filled the adapter with coolant, and fitted the temperature gauge's sensor. The temperature stabilizes at 100 ºC

I sacrificed the high temperature alarm of the EMS IV, but can see the temperature movement of the head itself. I still have the coolant level monitor and alarm in the expansion tank, but as in my case the coolant got pushed back into the expansion tank, and eventually the head had no water. It then takes a while for the LR temperature sensor to respond, and by then damage is done.

I had the system tested this morning for combustion leaks, and no leakage.